Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Packard Engine to GM Auto Transmission Adapters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
49-50 Ultras used large angle mounts that bolted onto the side of the trans just like the manual trans of that era. That is why there are bolt holes on BOTH sides of the case.

In addition, in those years there were angled pedestals bolted to the frame to catch them. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

The fitting above the pan rail is for oil returning from the filter.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 5:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Thanks for that info Don, I didn’t really think they were, but I also discovered something interesting today… I was looking at these 327 gaskets I bought last week from a guy… the head gaskets were the same size but when looking at the pan gaskets, it looks as if my 22nd series 1950 327 does NOT have the same oil pan gasket as the 51 and later. The 1950 one is longer ??? Crazy

Also, I’m getting closer and closer to purchasing the trans adapter plate and flex and starter…. But I’m also thinking I need to finalize my newest Packard edition, a 22nd 288 manual 2dr…. Which should I get first??? 🤣🤣

Posted on: 2023/11/6 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I remembered to have a look at my selection of Ultramatics and was surprised to see one from a 1952 Patrician which has threaded side mounting holes as they were not used after the 23rd series. Presumably that was to keep them backwards-compatible. I have a couple others too to 1954 that I didn’t look at other than a 1954 Gearstart which does not have the holes. The 23rd series core I have, of course, has them too.

Posted on: 2023/11/13 0:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
I just wish I knew if my 23rd series ultramatic was sound

Posted on: 2023/11/13 0:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If it has been sitting a while then probably it will need rebuilt but so will some random GM transmission you buy. There is a recent thread “Ultramatic Disassembly” in the V8 section. That, with the service manual, may be helpful. Also Ross / Speedwell Garage Ultramatic videos on YT.

Most likely there is not anything majorly wrong, it just needs some TLC. These can catastrophically fail for a few reasons (debris in the torque converter for example) but usually that is not why they are parked.

Posted on: 2023/11/13 4:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
All good points and valid.
I know that it drove and was on the road about 10 years ago. I’m pretty sure I lost track of his email, but I’ll try again to find it to verify.

And now thanks to a new friend in here, I’m thinking more and more either about going with a R11 manual or TorqueFlite…

Posted on: 2023/11/13 16:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I’m thinking more and more either about going with a R11 manual or TorqueFlite…

Bendtsen does the GM trans adapters but AFAIK, not TorqueFlite. In fact, I don't know if the TorqueFlite adapters are still being produced and not sure if they were available for inline 8 engines or what is involved in installing them if they are.

For some years there was a machine shop in CA making the TorqueFlite adapters for V8's but a few years ago a poster on one of the forums said they had long wait times. It has been several years since I last heard of a TorqueFlite being installed and as I recall, in a couple of the last units there were reports of some centering and vibration issues. Whether that was due to the adapters or the installation work is unknown..

Posted on: 2023/11/13 16:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sierra Grove Packards did make the 727 adapter plate for the 288/327/359 motors. But they haven't made any of the adapters for years (retired).

The last version of the adapter finally had mounting hole eccentrics, which allowed it to be centered. But the majority of the ones sold did not.

Posted on: 2023/11/13 18:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved