Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

ghoenshell, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
It certainly is a small world.

Posted on: 2016/9/4 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Could some one tell me what oil I need to use in the front dampers, also what level or do you fill them to the top. Also the ride on the front seems smooth you get a bit of up and down movement is this normal on a car like this. I am running 225 75 15 tyres I now we covered tyre pressures but is 34psi ok, just seems a bit low to me the tyres bulge a bit. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/9/5 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hydraulic oil has been a recommended replacement oilhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=173745#forumpost173745 for the shocks or dampers but if you can't find that then hydraulic jack oil will work. Fill to the bottom of the plug opening.

If the shocks have been running dry there is a good chance the bushings on the arm shafts are going to leak and you will need to rebuild or exchange them. If you choose to attempt a rebuild yourself there is an excellent article written by another poster in the literature "How To" section. Internal damage in the form of a frozen piston and broken link is also a possibility and that will require finding another shock. They work as all other shocks -- push down and when you release the car there should be a minimal rebound or bouncing.

Radials normally have a "bulge" compared to bias tires but you can increase the pressure as desired up to the max inflate level to get rid of some of it. In the US that max pressure number would be stamped on the tire sidewall but don't know if the UK has the same requirements. Find a trade off point between less bulge and a harsh bumpy ride.

Posted on: 2016/9/5 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello, once again a great help thanks very much let you know how i get hopefully they will be ok I beleave there is a bit of oil in them still.

Posted on: 2016/9/5 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello All, I am some more information as i dont have a manual, on the engine on one side of the block there is a drain to drain the coolant from the block, on the other side of the block under the side valve rear cover plate there is a bolt or plug what is this for. Another thing i need to know is the make and model number of a set of points so i can get a spare set.thanks Howard

Posted on: 2016/9/8 4:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I think what you are seeing is one of several plugs for the main bearing oil gallery. The rear one is often used to attach a auxillary oil pressure gauge.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/8 10:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello JD, have attached a pic of the side of the block where the plug is, I need to get a nice brass plug and get rid of the bolt.

Attach file:

jpg  (248.02 KB)
139012_57d18a89c7a68.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/9/8 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that familiar with details on that particular engine but it looks like the plug is in the main oil gallery. If so, a lot of people have added an auxiliary mechanical oil pressure gauge and discretely mounted it in the engine compt as a backup or second opinion to the electrical gauge.

You could also add a sender for an idiot light and conceal the light under the dash as a warning for oil pressure issues. After another poster had some expensive repairs when his oil pressure suddenly went away and wasn't noticed on the gauge until damage was done, he added a sender and did a very nice job of concealing the idiot light inside the oil gauge so it illuminates the face of the gauge. When oil pressure falls below a certain level his oil gauge face lights up nice and red.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 11:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yep, that bolt is in a main oil gallery plug hole. Problem is the threads for the plug hole are 1/8" NPT and the bolt has different threads. The plug hole may be salvageable by using a pipe thread tap to clean up the threads. If not it will have to be drilled out for the next larger size, 1/4" NPT. Pipe threads have a slight taper to them, while bolt threads are not tapered. Surprised the bolt is not allowing a leak.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/8 14:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Maybe I'm paranoid but, because the bolt is plumbed into the oil gallery, might it be better to leave it alone? Reason being, could re-tapping the thread or drilling out and tapping for a larger size introduce metal particles directly into the oiling system? I know there are techniques to trap and hold the particles while drilling and tapping, but I'd be worried in case some particles slipped through these defences.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 16:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved