Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 222

Todd W. White, BDeB, Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 22 »

Re: Barries's 1950 standard 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Here is the color I would like to match, but it is not easy from the computer screen to match it at the paint shop.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.50 KB)
484_49d0694983d8b.jpg 512X320 px

Posted on: 2009/3/30 1:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
That photo looks like it was taken on an overcast day. The actual color in full sun may be 'greener' than the photo appears. I think Spruce Green is a very good choice, but without the actual color chip I don't see how you will ever know if you've matched it or not. The four photos you provided of the painted boot appear to be four different shades of green on my monitor that vary from a medium-dark green to almost black.

My local automotive paint supplier still has the original books of Packard paint samples including the 23rd series Packard so I guess I'm lucky.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know offhand if that's close to an original color or not, but as it appears on my monitor I think that color goes very, very nicely with that body style and era. Reminds me a bit of a very dark green Packard used in the middle 30s.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am gonna stick with the color I have. I was a bit concerned about the 'greenness' in direct sunlight, but I think the rich dark color in the shade will be worth it. Also when the new rechromed parts are fitted it will be nicely offset by the dark green. I am alos thinking of a 'biscuit' colored upholstery and carpet to offset the dark outside.
So this coming weekend I am gonna buy the paint, hardner and reducer. I am gonna buy 6 litres paint, 3 litre hardner and some thinners/reducer.
I will be applying 3 coats and then refinsh by hand with 600 grit paper before applying another 6 coats. then hand finishing with 2000 grit and water to get rid of orange peel hopefully.
Anyway, this is what my paint guy recommends so LOTS of work ahead, but I am looking forward to the result with great anticipation.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 1:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I think the color/colour will look fine. Good luck with the application.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Speaking of block heaters.... here is a trick I have used successfully on cars, trucks and even a diesel tractor.

I slide an electric frying pan under the engine then lift it up on blocks so it is right up against the oil pan, or as high as I can get it. Plug it in and in a half hour or hour your engine will be toasty warm and easy to start.

You can buy a frying pan for $5 bucks at a yard sale or thrift store and keep it around the garage.

If you use your wife's be sure you wipe off the grease and put it back where you found it.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Well started the painting process during the easter weekend past. And it went very well for a rookie! In the end I decided on a green from a 2004 Land Rover called 'Brooklands Green". Didnt want a british racing green so this green is much darker and changes a lot depending on the sunlight. I think the dark color suits the shape of the 48-50 even though not an original color. I bought Spies Hecker paint from Germany and is very happy with the quality and ease of application. I applied 4 coats to all panels - although I was advised that 2 will be enough cause of the good coverage of Spies HEcker. There is a bit of orange peel on some places, but I had NO runs! I still have to do the 4 doors. The one door has a bad dent so I have to attend to that first.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.21 KB)
484_49e43940080a9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (72.62 KB)
484_49e4397fc0547.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (139.17 KB)
484_49e439b51b766.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (117.60 KB)
484_49e439de588ae.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/14 2:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looking good Barrie, colour choice a winner and a great first attempt at spray painting! A far braver man than I.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 3:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks Mal!

It still is a backyard job done outside in the open air with a cheap gun and inexperienced handler! I am going to have a bit of 2000 grit sanding to do with all of that orange peel! But I actually enjoyed it a lot and I think practice will make perfect.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 7:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks good! And the color is a good choice for that era and body style. Wondering what kind of paint you chose, lacquer, enamel, urethane? Lacquer, either acrylic or nitrocellulose probably the most forgiving for a first time painter.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 9:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved