Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

Don B, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 86 87 88 (89) 90 91 92 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...had dismantled and transported to the workshop the two post hoist that Wade is going to "mind"....

Yeah, it looks that Wade went with his gut when buying such a powerful hoist, model BulletPro.

Quote:
...John was able to demonstrate a whole new meaning...

John, thanks for sharing.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.11 KB)
757_4e70b10bc8a02.jpg 250X348 px

Posted on: 2011/9/14 8:50
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
flackmaster wrote: That's NOT a 37-120 wiper motor. Might be 33...
David. That will explain it then because Ed said it didn't look like the one in his '37 120. And Wade was unsure because, when Old Blue was bought by Wade 20+ years ago, it came equipped with a VW wiper motor and remained like that. I'll contact Ed and let him know.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 15:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....looks that Wade went with his gut......

Hmmm, looks like someone needs to go on a diet!

Posted on: 2011/9/14 16:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 16th September 2011

Arrived at the workshop to find Noel's '39 still on the hoist, but that was expected. What was unexpected was that the front brake drums and shoes were off! Using the hoist, the '39's undersides are now much more accessible, and yesterday Wade found grease leaking from the bottom of the front brakes. With the drums removed it seems the seals aren't doing their job and/or the grease used isn't up to scratch, another job added to the list! So last night Wade ordered new seals from Max as well as a new 1937-1942 #367197 FUEL PUMP INLET HOSE-ALL MODELS for my Coupe. Only trouble is, I'd also ordered a 1937-1942 #367197 FUEL PUMP INLET HOSE-ALL MODELS from Max myself a couple of days ago but had forgotten to note that in these pages! Looks like we now have a spare for Wade's wonderful shelf.

Wade was in the throes of fitting the heater hoses to the '39 and once that was done the upper radiator hose was re-installed and water added. No apparent leaks, good, so start the '39 and see how it is after warming up. Didn't work, but after re-connecting the battery it did! Ran it for a fair while, still no leaks, and testing of the heater revealed warm/hot air was being generated, good, no more cold feet for Noel. That still left the demisters to be connected. Now I know that the conduit/tubing for this purpose is available in the US but not here, so we improvised. Used blue, actually bright blue, swimming pool hose which I'd purchased a couple of weeks ago. Glad I bought a little extra, 1.2M instead of 1.0M, because of what followed. Turned out the swimming pool hose is 38mm ID(1.5") while the heater and demister outlets are about 41mm OD(1.625"). Hmmm, won't fit. Used boiling water to soften the hose but still wouldn't fit. Had a hotter heat source, a heat gun, but what to use as a means to expand the hose? Wade remembered that John has a tool he uses to expand the rubber covers to fit over CV joints, maybe that would help/work? Turns out using the ultimate colonoscopy tool did work. The rectal rummager operating at 120psi, uses air pressure to open a set of fingers that stretch the CV joint cover, and proved very effective for the task at hand. However, there's a very fine line between stretching hot plastic tubing and having it collapse with too much heat, or tear from too much pressure. A couple of, what will now be termed, trial runs proved the feasibility of this process. The tubing was heated a little and stretched, then heated a little more and stretched again. This proved very effective, resulting in a pair of effective demister tubes for the '39.

Had also experienced some difficulty, initially, with the gear linkage hanging up. Pulling the trans and OD had obviously disturbed the previously well working linkage setup. I imagine this will be further reviewed and adjusted once road testing takes place. Another problem encountered was the OD lockout didn't seem to be working. Ahhh, the beauty, and the ease of having the car on the hoist, finger tip operation and up she goes. Undercar removed the clevis and adjusted the reach and fitment of the cable relative to the lever from the side of the OD. The '39 was again lowered so the rear wheels were on the floor and the handbrake applied. Lugnuts were then properly tightened and the axle nuts torqued up and split-pinned. Finally I cleaned the double sided tape off the rear wheels and hubcaps so new tape could be affixed to prevent hubcap separation while the vehicle is in motion. And Noel, here's my Mea culpa. I snapped off the end of one of the hubcap retaining clips from one of your wheels. Also need more double sided tape to do this job, looks like a lot more now!

Attach file:

jpg  (36.41 KB)
226_4e72f8fd038c9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.97 KB)
226_4e72f90f20537.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.86 KB)
226_4e72f927c3847.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.02 KB)
226_4e72f943ee056.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.32 KB)
226_4e72f95dc0d24.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.88 KB)
226_4e72f9753c5b7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.03 KB)
226_4e72f9875ec5f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.41 KB)
226_4e72f99955c7f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.73 KB)
226_4e72f9b33bab7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/16 2:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 20th September 2011

Last week Helen, wife of MaxH, passed away and her funeral took place yesterday at Palmdale about 40 miles north. Seven Packards were able to make the trip for the funeral service, five from Sydney, one from the Central Coast and one from Tamworth. A lovely service and eulogies for a very fine lady. After the service, Max was inspected some of the Packards present. I think I knew this before, but Max was a former owner of Eleanor aka The Fossil, while Helen is a former owner of Emily. Terry, one of the guys I visited on the Gold Coast a couple of weeks ago said this of Helen, "She was one of life's beautiful Ladies. She always named their cars, the photo is the 38 super eight which was the first Packard I ever worked on for Max named by Helen as "Albert" followed by the car that started my passion "Eleanor". When I asked Helen why she named every car, she said it was her way of recognizing them and they deserved to be named."

Today at the workshop, while Wade was cleaning up Fleurette's front brakes I was tasked with cleaning out a capacitor body for the radio rebuild. Wade likes to keep appearances "stock", not that you'd know because it's inside the radio cabinet, which means digging out the old capacitor and replacing it with modern components. Seemed simple, instructions were to use lots of very hot boiled water and soak the capacitor in it then start digging. Literally tried digging it out with little progress until Wade said he uses long nose pliers to pull the compacted wax/paper/whatever mixture out in clumps. Worked better but still slow progress until about half way down the body then whatever was remaining came out in a large lump. Or so I thought. Turns out there were still pieces of paper/wax clinging on necessitating more mining and excavation until it was cleared. Took quite some time and by which time Wade had finished his brake cleanup work.

What to do next? Wade was waiting for a call about Emily's throttle linkage, the water pump being ready, but one pickup trip was more appealing than two. In the meantime turned to Big Red which had a leak from a large nut on top of the fuel pump. Was able to be fixed with a new washer under the nut. By this time received word that the linkage was ready except for drilling of one hole which they wanted to check the orientation on. So into Big Red, what a great parts chasing car, and we were off with we me in the back seat, ala Gina. Why? More of that later. At Anglade Engineering we were introduced to Brian who, after discussions and trial fitments, was able to drill the final hole.

From Anglade we went to Award Diffs, this is why the back seat ride occurred. Yesterday, after the funeral service, the complete pumpkin out of Barry Smiths '38 Twelve was transferred from the boot(trunk) of Barry's '51 Convertible to the boot(trunk) of Big Red. And a set of high speed gears for the '38's pumpkin was transferred to the front seat floor of Big Red. Because the box, the pumpkin was in, occupied most of the available boot(trunk) space of Big Red all the accoutrements for Packard runs, fold up chairs and table and such also ended up in the front seat. Not wishing to disturb these arrangements meant my relegation to the back seat. Actually it's very comfortable, the phrase lounge chair comfort springs to mind, and now I understand Gina's preference for travelling there. Anyway, enough of the Packard saleman pitch, back to Award diffs. There the pumpkin and high speed gears were unloaded and Wade discussed Barry's requirements with Terry. As usual Terry had all the answers even before Wade could ask the questions or point out certain matters to be attended to. And there is a story behind the high speed gears too. Barry had bought two sets some years ago, one set of which he installed in an early '30s Packard(Wade or Barry, don't be afraid to jump to positively identify it!). The other set ended up with a guy in South Australia, JohnW, who installed them in his early '30s Packard(Wade or Barry, same deal on the identification). However John removed the gear set because performance wasn't as expected. Barry remembered this, and with the Twelve "getting busy" at highway speeds, the second set returned from whence it came.

Back at the workshop Emily's throttle linkage was re-assembled, well that part of the linkage which bolts on the firewall connecting the accelerator pedal to the first linkage rod from the firewall mount to the bellcrank on the intake manifold. This is a RHD car so will differ in that it doesn't cross the engine, or run behind it, to operate the carburettor. Wade had been looking for a new cross shaft to replace the worn one while making use of the present levers at either end of the shaft. Besides the new shaft and installing brass bushes at either end of the cross shaft bracket, Anglade also made a new brass lever for the accelerator pedal link. However the brass bushes, because they are in a thinnish bracket were fabricated so that they each have a shoulder on the inside of the bracket for shaft support. Didn't matter for the accelerator pedal side but for the carburettor linkage side this created a problem in re-installing the cross shaft spring in that the hole for the retaining pin was now "out". Solution, drill a new hole in the cross shaft, easy? I had heard of V-blocks but never seen one in operation. Turns out this is the way to do it. And it was "easy", but only because Wade knew what he was doing and did it in measured steps to ensure the required outcome was achieved. All then put together and now ready to go back in Emily tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.68 KB)
226_4e79ce1860822.jpg 720X465 px

jpg  (29.23 KB)
226_4e79ce2a69916.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.48 KB)
226_4e79ce405da49.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.17 KB)
226_4e79ce56551ef.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.87 KB)
226_4e79ce65156eb.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.68 KB)
226_4e79ce7c9f60a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.34 KB)
226_4e79ce9349f9e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.76 KB)
226_4e79ceb03732f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.43 KB)
226_4e79cec833957.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.24 KB)
226_4e79cedd15140.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.68 KB)
226_4e79cef70a610.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.81 KB)
226_4e79cf1bc43b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.36 KB)
226_4e79cf32581a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.90 KB)
226_4e79cf542bb9b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.08 KB)
226_4e79cf6a4cf33.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.80 KB)
226_4e79cf7ced9cb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/21 6:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 21st September 2011

Seemed we were going to be working on Emily today because the front seals for Fleurette were yet to arrive. First was to get the cross shaft bracket mounted back on the firewall. Although a bit tedious went back in without too much drama save it had to come out after the first attempt. Why? Because the rod mounted to the accelerator pedal lever was the wrong way round. You can only put it in two ways so of course the first way chosen was the wrong way! That sorted, the bracket was remounted. Next was the bell crank mounting pin in the intake manifold. The old pin was worn and also loose in the manifold so Wade had Anglade make up a new one. Trouble was they got it completely wrong, rattling around in the manifold. To cut a very, very long story short, a discarded 8mm bolt of John's was used with the thread recut to 7mm, threaded end shortened, head cut off, hole drilled(ala V block) and square head ground on the open end. The mounting hole in the manifold body was tapped to 7mm and the new pin, together with the bell crank fitted.

During the course of this the package from Max arrived containing the new front seals and a flexible fuel hose fitting. The fuel hose won't be going on the shelf as I speculated previously but is expected to be used on Big Red. Rather than continue with Emily, Wade turned to Fleurette and putting the front brakes back on. Remounted the shoes and springs for both sides then repacked the wheel bearings one side at a time. Fitted the inner bearing installed the new seal, brake drum on car, outer bearing fitted and nuts, lock washer and split pin installed. Adjusted brakes and remounted wheels. Fleurette is ready to return to the shop floor, probably Friday because Wade is attending another funeral his fourth in four weeks, so won't be in tomorrow.

And speaking of packages from Max, on my return home found that mine had been delivered too!

Attach file:

jpg  (29.86 KB)
226_4e79dfab36ac4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.53 KB)
226_4e79dfd1f3aaa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.90 KB)
226_4e79dfec6796d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.43 KB)
226_4e79e004642d9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.12 KB)
226_4e79e01a24fb4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/21 8:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Hi Mal,

Just wanted to confirm that I will be dropping by tomorrow (prob late morning) with the 34 gearbox for Wade... that is if I am able to lift it into the car... and to pick up those rear leaf packs.

Might see what is happening for lunch?

Cheers

Snapey

Posted on: 2011/9/22 3:22
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Matt,

'34 gearbox should be easy for a young guy such as yourself! Wade will be at the workshop tomorrow morning but I'll be off donating blood plasma and have an errand to run. Will try and make it there late morning/early afternoon because it's been a while since I partook of Friday lunch at the Eastwood Rugby Club.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 4:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 23rd September 2011

After the vampire struck and errands run finally reached the workshop just after midday. Found Wade working away adjusting the carburettor linkage on Emily, with a combination of new cross shaft & pedal lever, Holden carburettor and non standard linkage rods a fair bit of tweaking was required. After that the hand throttle and choke cables were reconnected and adjusted. But that's as far as it went, couldn't start Emily up to test it, because the water pump wasn't ready to go back on. Earlier in the morning Wade had POR-15'd the housing, backing plate and impeller and they were hanging up to dry before being reassembled, that'll be Monday.

Also, neither Noel(Tabletennissport) or Matt(Snapey) had been sighted at the workshop. Matt called and advised he was having trouble separating the transmission from the '34 engine and would go directly to Eastwood Rugby Club and meet us there for lunch. Noel? Said he was probably coming in Wednesday or Friday, but didn't make either day. That aside, ten blokes enjoyed lunch on the open air dining area on the club's verandah. Then followed return to the workshop for drop off of the trans Matt had brought over. Matt also picked up the original rear springs off Mat's(Packard34) '34 Sedan which Wade had changed over. These springs will be used in Matt's Biposto in lieu of the original springs.

Had a query from William George Stocker concerning what radiator cap he should put on his '39 120, looks like a follow on from this thread. Instead of that, I have photographed the radiator filler necks on Noel's '39 120 and on my '41 120. The '39 is NOT pressurised while the '41 is.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.49 KB)
226_4e7c4bceda29e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.01 KB)
226_4e7c4be71761a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.31 KB)
226_4e7c4c01784a4.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (23.19 KB)
226_4e7c4c1ded514.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.43 KB)
226_4e7c4c3911f92.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.23 KB)
226_4e7c4c542ef3c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.96 KB)
226_4e7c4c6584ad8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.89 KB)
226_4e7c4c7e9c235.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (34.13 KB)
226_4e7c4c9417d7f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.17 KB)
226_4e7c4cacc2be5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/23 4:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Thank you so much for the photo's, it has helped me. My rad filler-neck is not sealed like Noel's 39 120?

One more question what is the pressure cap rating on Mal's 41, 120? As this look's very much like mine, I will take a photo of my Radiator filler neck tomorrow. My Packard must be a very late 39? could they have put early 40 radiator in my Packard..(could this happen??)
thanx Guys!

Posted on: 2011/9/23 13:33

« 1 ... 86 87 88 (89) 90 91 92 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved