Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 256

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: oil bath air cleaner element 327 - 2bbl
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I ordered the Purolator. It looks about the right size. For $8 - I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
is there a difference between the 40's oil cleaners and the 50's oil cleaners ? the diagram under the noisy lifter thread Im the one with the noisy lifters)
I have a 50's car with an aparant 40's oill filter set up
the 40's diagram has the pressurised oil going in the bottom port of the filter cannister and out the top port back to the engine
and the 50's diagram has it going into the top port and out the bottom back to the engine
is there a difference between the two ?I bought new oil lines because one of them is kinked but am wondering igf I have the wrong filter on the car ,maby salvaged of an older motor ,are they all the same?can one hook them up either way?

Posted on: 2012/5/15 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All the usual oil filters had the inlet on the outside with the exception of the early 356 filters which put it in at the bottom because of a check valve inside. If your center tube is hollow, plumb it so pressure goes to the outside. Generally they did it that way so sludge could settle to the bottom of the canister.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 5:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were also aftermarket filters so yours might not even be Packard. On many of the filters there is an INLET and OUTLET stamped on the can near the port. Look carefully or if still mounted maybe even use a mirror to see if you find anything. Believe Kev has a picture of how his was labeled in his blog.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 9:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As Ross said, the ones labeled inlet on the bottom were for the early 356 motor, and had an internal By-Pass feature if the filter got plugged. Which could happen as that style filtered used the inside of the filter, which presented a smaller filter surface area. I just reversed the pluming on mine to match the later cars, and it has been fine. (Inlet on the side)

Posted on: 2012/5/16 12:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
OK - somehow the thread turned into oil filters instead of oil bath air filters - but thats fine with me.

I just finished fitting my oil bath air cleaner to my car - thought I'd give an update. I decided to go with the orignal air cleaner element - after I spent a while cleaning it and getting all the loose material out of it. I don't want that junk getting sucked into the carb! So after i cleaned up the old air cleaner housing (Laquer thinner takes off the paint easily) - I had it powder coated.

I put it on the car and found out the bracket I had was too short - must be for another model or air cleaner. - I fabricated a new bracket and everything looked good. The main reason I changed to the oil bath air cleaner (I have to admit) - is I like the way they look.

But it seemed just a little too plain. I know that is what it is supposed to look like - but I thought it could use a little snazzing up. - Purists don't get mad. It is just an air cleaner. I had my friend letter it for me. Here is the result. Now I need to get the rest of the engine bay looking good.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.87 KB)
3931_4fbe93404f442.jpg 1280X857 px

jpg  (64.94 KB)
3931_4fbe935751725.jpg 1280X857 px

Posted on: 2012/5/24 15:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice job!

Posted on: 2012/5/24 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I like it - AND it's your car.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ditto Randy's comment.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
My like kind air cleaner is in the mail to you as I write.....

Posted on: 2012/5/24 19:07
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved