Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

Don B, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5 main durability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
How durable is the 5 main engine compared to the 9? I know the Hudson hornet engine made good power with only 4 mains and there have been V8 fords making huge power for over 50 years on only 3, has anyone on here heard of any inherent weaknesses with the 5 main design?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 23:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 5 main durability
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 5-main Packard L8 engines were more than sufficiently durable for their intended use and lifespan and I don't think there is any credible information that suggests that the 9-main versions were more durable. What Packard tried to promote on the 9-main engines was a refined "smoothness", not reliability or tolerance for abuse.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
i heard that. physics might suggest that nine bearing would be better , but that crank is the weak link. long and heavy .

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
thats good information thank you, i think the bigges problem with the long crank would be extreme rpm or oil starvation if memory serves the lifters are oiled first on these engines

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I you look at the oiling diagram in the Data Book, you will see the the mains get oiled first. I believe they refer to it as "full pressure lubrication".

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
ill take a look at it again your very likely right and thankfully they are full pressure

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In the Packard 8 the difference is not so noticeable, but go back to the 3 vs 5 main bearing four cylinder motors and the difference is clearly audible. Noise generally indicates distress which is why virtually all fours today have five mains. However, that long crankshaft in the Packard is a delicate issue that takes a lot of energy to spin.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
We sometimes get overly focused on main bearing count and need to keep in mind it's just one part of the total engineering package that results in a good or not so good design. For example, the Packard Twelve, smooth as they come, had 4 mains. Chrysler's Slant Six, as durable an engine as anyone could want, wasn't a 7-main design.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
has anyone on here heard of any inherent weaknesses with the 5 main design?
One thing to keep in mind is all the modern V8s, including multi-thousand horsepower top fuel dragsters, are five main bearing designs. The ubiquitous SBC is readily modified to produce 500hp with five main bearings smaller than the Packard I8.

Quote:
and there have been V8 fords making huge power for over 50 years on only 3
A full-race Ford flathead V8 making a real 150hp is rare and expensive. Much more than that and even more massive expenditure is required to keep them from flying to flinders. Bottom line - putting horsepower into a flathead Ford T, A, B and V8 with only three spindly little mains is among the most expensive dollar per horsepower per cubic inch developed one might try to build. BTDTNA.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/6/2 12:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved