Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 258

TxGoat, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: OVERHEATING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The VERY first thing i would make sure of (i'm sure it was mentioned) is that you have the long reach radiator cap. If you do not, this project is doomed to fail as it takes very little for it to start dumping out.

A temp gauge on the head itself (or IR laser one, whatever) would be a quick indicator how hot the metal of the head is when it's boiling. If it's a fairly low temp, i'd start looking at that cap.

I made the same mistake, the short reach cap is very close looking and fits ok on the radiator neck even when it shouldn't be used. Mine would overflow driving in about 10 min if that with the wrong cap.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I had similar issues on my '48. I went through the entire cooling system, but neglected to replace the radiator cap, because I thought it looked okay.

The car would get hotter as I drove it, eventually spewing water out the overflow. Bought a new Stant 10206 cap from NAPA, and all is fine now.

Keep in mind I had the right cap- only mine was worn out. It was evident when I compared it to the new one as the rubber on the bottom was missing! Your situation could be more severe if you have a cap that is too short.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 12:19
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Put a thermometer in the radiator neck and watch it. I still think you have a flakey gauge or sender.

Also remember if you overfill the radiator, that water has to go somewhere when it expands from normal heating. So the boiling over may just be that extra water getting expelled. Verify you have the correct radiator cap as well.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 15:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Got a new Stant long cap today and I will take some of the water out of the radiator. Definitely will use a gauge to check what the temp is at the radiator and on the head. Lots of very good trouble shooting suggestions from experience Packard enthusiasts. You cannot get that many ideas in month without this forum. Thanks to everyone I will keep posting until the car is COOL !

Posted on: 2012/7/25 16:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
WILLIS wrote:...I will keep posting until the car is COOL !
Packards are always

Posted on: 2012/7/25 23:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've been having trouble with my 51 overheating for some time. Found two problems - first is the water pump. Sent it off to Gould for rebuilding. Someone in the past put a Chrysler impeller in it, which impaired the performance. Second, the dummy who replaced the thermostat (me!) put it in upside down, with the spring side facing up, instead of down towards the block. I should be getting the pump back shortly, so I will let you know how the car runs then. Hopefully these two fixes will make a big difference.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Put everything back together, got a new NAPA TS6464 temperature sender and hooked it up. Started the car and the gauge went to HOT before the engine was running 10 seconds( bad gauge or wrong gauge or what?) Ran the car with a meat thermometer in the radiator for 15 minutes and never went past 180 degrees, shut it off and the temp went up past the max on the meat thermometer over 185 ++. Started the car up and the meat thermometer went down to about 180- in a minute. So it looks like the problem I have is in the probe. The probe I took out had no teflon tape on the threads, I taped the one I installed. Am I preventing the probe from having a ground? I guess I can look into replacing the idiot light with a gauge to be sure of how the engine is doing. I already have a oil pressure gauge under the hood. I am getting the retired NAPA employee discount now which really helps on getting the parts! I worked for the local NAPA for a few years.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 9:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need to make sure you have the right sender (ohm range) to match with the Packard gauge or it will never read right. Remind me again, do you have a '54 Super or a Deluxe?

If you have a Deluxe, I have a couple of spare Temp gauges for them, but not any spare senders. So if you get the correct sender and it still reads bad, and the wiring is good, and all the test point to a bad gauge, let me know and I will see what i can do for you,

Posted on: 2012/7/27 9:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had been looking at that same TS 6464 temp sender and noticed something on the Napa website which brought up a question. That same number is used on three applications which doesn't seem possible. On the applications for cooling fan and temp light they show these specs:

Temp Sender Switch Temp Rating : C At 100 Deg F w/ 23% Tol, O At 220 Deg F 13.5 Ohms w/ 9% Tol

On the same part number for gauge operation specs are:

Temp Sender Switch Temp Rating : 11.5-13.5 Ohms Resistance At 220 Deg F

I'm kind of having a hard time figuring out how the same sender can work 3 different items with completely different needs. One could assume the C and O on the first spec would be closed and open but unless there are strangely configured relays involved, doesn't seem plausible for both fan & light operation. To have a resistance range mixed in to what would seem to need a simple on/off function seems odd as well.

Out of curiosity, could you measure that sender. At cold, we would need 80-100 ohms minimum. More would probably be OK as long as ohms start falling fairly quickly once engine started to heat. At 180, we would probably want in the 25-35 range and at boiling or 220 the listed spec of around 10.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I have a Special 288. I will check resistance to see if it is the correct one.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 11:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved