Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 187

Todd W. White, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Is this color correct?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I like this model conv. but the color doesn't look right to me and I couldn't find anything that seem to match up with from my research. Also, the dash and interior are they correct, I don't keep up with this as much as y'all do but it doesn't look right for Packard. I'm learning...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380462125457&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Posted on: 2012/8/14 14:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Is this color correct?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Dear PackardO:
That color looks like 1940 Centennial Blue, per the PAC website:
http://www.packardclub.org/

Since the seller alleges this is a "factory stock color" the seller should be able to tell you what color it really is. Good Luck, nice car.

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Looks okay to me. Packard went crazy for blues in 1941. Either Barola Blue or Crescent Blue is my guess.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Lots of two-tone blue then as well. Light and dark combo. Looks very 41 (or/and 42?)

Posted on: 2012/8/14 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have the Acme Proxlin paint chips for 1941. The only color that comes close is 'Crescent Blue'. It's impossible to really tell how close a match it is from a photo due to differences in photo process, sky reflections, monitor differences, and/or digital conversions.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 12:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't see a Crescent Blue listed for 1941 Packard colors, though they did have some introductory colors; my chip set is DuPont. All I see are Legion Blue and Algiers Blue (both metallic), and Packard Blue and Barola Blue (metallic). Looks to me like Barola Blue is quite close but as noted just before, given the erratic representation of colors digitally, you'd probably have to see the actual car to be more certain.

According to Packard's "Information on the 1941 Cars" of January 20, 1941, the single color schemes in blue were Code B, Packard Blue, or Code L, Barola Blue metallic. The two-tone scheme in blue was Code FA, body, bonnet and radiator above the moulding, and wheels in Algiers metallic Blue and the remainder of the car in Legion Blue metallic.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Keep in mind that paint chip cards will age as well due to things like dirty storage, smoke, etc.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Crescent Blue is shown on the Acme Proxlin sheet and also the Peninsular Paint and Varnish Co. (whoever they were) sheet.

The Databook for 1941 shows "Scheme Z Entire Car Crescent Blue Metallic".

In any case, the car in question is very blue.

Edit: yeah, that could be Barola Blue.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.37 KB)
188_502c0789c1b2f.jpg 276X400 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think I have the answer to the Crescent Blue. Trade Letter TL-3047 explains why Crescent Blue isn't listed in the January 20, 1941 master information on the 1941 cars. According to this trade letter paint code Z and some others were discontinued about a month earlier. There are 3 additional pages to the Trade Letter. I didn't check to see if their trade letter is already in our library, but I have recently offered to to Kev for that purpose along with some other trade letters from 1936 - haven't heard back from him yet. I'd be glad to scan the entire letter here if there is interest.

So if the car is Crescent Blue, that pretty much dates it as being manufactured before December 1940.

Attach file:

jpg  (166.37 KB)
177_502c1543ab1d9.jpg 951X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hey guys, let's go back to PackardO's original question.

Seems to me the key to an answer is whether the paint on the car has a metallic base or not. Based upon what I see, it does not.

So, regardless of whether or not two-tone jobs were available, or whether the shade is altered due to reproduction on the computer, it seems the only blues available for 1941 (except for Packard Blue, which clearly the subject car is not) have a metallic base.

Assuming the pictures of the car accurately reflect a solid color, then the answer to PackardO is that the color is not correct.

This analysis brings up a question though - do or should the colors vary from different paint manufacturers?

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/15 20:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved