Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 235

Ozstatman, DavidPackard, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Thermostat retainer
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hello, I'm tring to put the thermostat back in my 51 288 sedan. Is there a retaining ring or something to hold the thermostat in place ? The one I bought, that is supposed to fit just falls into the block. The old therm seemed to be jammed into the housing. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 10:51
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print   

Re: Thermostat retainer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The thermostat goes into the housing and a retainer ring fits either into a small groove or bumps right at base of housing. If you have the retainer ring, is the thermostat going far enough up to allow the ring to lock into place.

If you don't have the ring, here is one place its available as well as getting it through various vendors or possibly even local source.

http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=7&PID=39

Posted on: 2008/8/11 11:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is what the correct retainer looks like for you thermostat. (Taken from MaxMerrittAuto's catalog)

Attach file:

jpg  (20.49 KB)
1_48a0b70a0315c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/11 17:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Funny you should post this just now.

I just replaced the radiator in my '52 200 Deluxe with 288 cubic inch engine, with a new custom cored one that I will post about separately in a few days.

But, I discovered that the last owner had sold me the car with NO thermostat in the engine (you can see the coolant pumping into the radiator immediately after a dead cold start). Maybe he lost the thermostat retainer?

I called Max Merritt, and JD there told me that they sell 3 versions of the thermostat (lo temp, standard, and high temp), along with the gasket needed for $15. He said I would also need a "retainer" (which this thread now explains), which they sell for $10. Even with my being in Texas, he suggested the "standard temperature" thermostat. I suspect that is because the engine's carb and ignition are preset assuming that.

I have all 3 pieces on the way to me.

By the way, the car has run just fine without the thermostat, but the indicated temperature on the gauage DID vary a bit unexpectedly at times. I suspect that the thermostat will (a) stablize the temperature except at the highest outdoor ambient temperatures or under prolonged idling, and (b) will improve the fuel mileage, since all that variation cannot possibly be helping attain consistent air/fuel ratio right for the differing temperatures.

I'll report in detail once I have this all buttoned up and road tested properly.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/11 18:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hello. First thanks for the info, but I have another question. I have been given a retainer that is for a 8 cylinder from 1950, it looks like part #351536 at Max Merrit. Will this work on a 51, I live in Canada and it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get something ship from the U.S.. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 19:24
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it looks like the picture above then it will work.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 19:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The retainer you are referring to (351536) is for the 356 engine. No, it will not work on a 288.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 21:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
The thermostat, gasket, and retainer for my '52 Packard 200 Deluxe with 288 engine arrived.

Will it be obvious once I remove the thermostat cover housing how the thermostat and retainer get PROPERLY fitted into position?

Anyone here done it?

I'm asking because I have learned that not everything goes as expected. Most recent example: I want to change the fluid in the rear axle, but the 9/16" SQUARE headed, pipe threaded filler plug was overtightened by the last exuberent owner, and now I need to find an 8-point socket to be able to get enough torque on it to properly remove it without mashing the head of the plug.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
yes it should be pretty obvious. Just make sure the thermostat is pointing in the right direction!

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Use either a Crescent wrench or a regular tight-fitting wrench, not a socket.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 21:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved