Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 198

Phat Jonny, Oldcaddies , 37Blanche, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

VIN Number
Just popping in
Just popping in

BSwank
See User information
My wife and I just bought our first Packard. It is a 1947 Clipper. We are needing help to find the VIN number on it so that we would be able to register it and get our restoration started. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN Number
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You didn't mention your model or if you had any origial paperwork, but there are 3 numbers on a Packard. Originally, it would probably have been registered with the engine number. On most straight 8's, that is stamped on a flat area just below cylinder head in the middle rear third of engine on drivers side. It would be a letter followed by several numbers. Don't remember the letter for 47 but am sure others will add their information. If the engine was changed however, the number would most likely be different that what is on paperwork.

The body and production serial number is on a plate screwed on the cowl. Lift the hood from drivers side and it should be apparent but it was only screwed on so may be missing, also some plates were stamped with ink. The number would be 21XX-XXXX type.

The third number was an antitheft number stamped on firewall above engine..It is the only really permanent number on car, but not used originally in registration and no records other than general sequences collected by individuals remain.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Welcome to the site also and congratulations on your purchase. Clippers are very beautiful cars and like all Packards well engineered and dependable but I am biased . You will find lots of information and knowledgeable people to help you with your restoration.
On my 1947 Super Clipper (2103) with the "356" the engine number is cast into the block on the passenger side at the lower rear of the block. The build date is cast in approximately the same location on the driver side. If it is still the original block it will have the prefix letter "F" followed by the numerals. I believe that the six 245 CID an 282 CID eight engines had the numbers in the same location in the 21st series Packards but I could be wrong. My car is also registered using the number on the data plate which is 2172-XXXXX. 2172 is the body style number which corresponds to 4 door touring sedan.On some cars there is also a small tag screwed onto the engine firewall which has the same number as the data plate. My 47 has this tag. Might his be on your car also?

Posted on: 2008/8/16 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Both my Packards are registered using the Model/Serial number from the data plate. Both were registered using this number in the past... California, Arizona, Illinois and now Missouri. It may depend on your local Dept of Motor Vehicles. Suggest you give them a call.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 12:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well, here goes another bit of inconsistency. Clipper47 with the 2103 chassis & 356 has numbers in a different place than my 2106 & 356. We do agree on the F though. I have the stamped pad on drivers side with number and cast date on passengers. Nothing I could see on drivers side down low (unless behind starter).Interesting?

JD is correct in that different DMVs did different things. My Calif car was originally motor number but since it was out of system many years, records were purged. When it was re-registered after many years, it had to be inspected by CHP. Even with the old papers, the only number they would use was the anti-theft permanent one since they pointed out motors and plates could be switched. That is how it is now listed.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.74 KB)
209_48a71380da803.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.83 KB)
209_48a7138e4aa59.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/16 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
HH56, Well that is really interesting! I checked my Super Clipper just to be certain and found the engine serial number exactly as yours (passenger side) minus the build date which is on the other side of the block down below the starter just above the rib before the oil pan. There is also no date stamp beneath the head as on your blcok and no pad for one either. The build date on my car is "8 26 47" so a later block than yours also? I have a 2106 parts car and the date and serial numbers are in the same place as my 2103. Maybe I will take some photos for comparison and post here.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gets curioser & curioser. Was your car originally made or assembled in Canada or did Detroit do something different in that respect for Canadian or export cars?

Posted on: 2008/8/16 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I thought of that also but the cars were assembled in Detroit since the Canadian operation closed in 1939. The 2103 was sold through a Winnipeg Manitoba dealer,Wright Motors, and the 2106 parts car was sold through Joy Motors in St.Paul/Minneapolis MN. Both are late production 21st series cars. I do notice that the number cast in the block is different than the number stamped on the pad whereas the engine number on my Clipper is cast into the block as is the build date. I did take a really hard look once again at my engine and could find no pad or stamped number on the upper rear of the block as on your engine.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 13:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My casting is 3-19-47 not that early but 5 months older than yours. Anyone with a prewar 356 and 22nd series 356 care to chime in with their motor number & casting date locations.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 14:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

BSwank wrote:
My wife and I just bought our first Packard. It is a 1947 Clipper..........

G'day BSwank and your good wife,

Congratulations with the purchase of your '47 Clipper. Great site here. If you haven't already done so could you please add your Clipper to the Owner Registry with a pic, and history if known?

And BigKev,

Seems like this should be in the Post War Forum. Can you weave your technological magic and transfer this entire thread over there?

Posted on: 2008/8/16 15:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved