Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 56 trunk lite had cartridge a lot like yours with a ball that was oxidized and rusty but as 34PackardR said, mercury could well have been used also. You may be able to take yours apart and clean but if mercury, then maybe not a good idea these days--don't know how you would tell by just looking.

The company I daylight for uses the ball type which are a continual source of intermittent issues. If the reference link 34Pack supplied doesn't work out, another option is a glass enclosed mercury switch such as the Philmore brand shown. Over here they are available at almost any electronic supply store.

What I do is either take our switch apart, remove the ball, and solder the glass switch in or just put the glass one in parallel on outside--depends on application. Don't know if your cartridge is big enough for former but maybe an option.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.78 KB)
209_48c164f11e709.jpg 1280X407 px

jpg  (72.81 KB)
209_48c165023b1e5.jpg 758X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/9/5 11:57

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A common error when doing brake relining on cars with the trunnion block, at least the ones with 2-shoe brakes thru 1936, is to use the same brake lining width on all four wheels. If you check your specifications you'll see that the left-front wheel used a narrower lining, 1/2 inch narrower on the Eights and Super Eights and 5/8 inch narrower on the Twelves (data for 1934).

EDIT: Yes, of course I should have picked up on it. If the car is RHD then the trunnion is on the right side and that side then I presume has the narrower brake lining.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 12:15

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

34PackardRoadsta wrote:Mal, The spring assembly on the back of the front suspension spring is called a trunion block, and it is an anti-shimmy device. It was developed in 1929 and first used in production on the 1930 7th series cars. During testing of pre-production 7th series cars the Packard engineers noticed that one car in particular did not have any shimmy. An investigation of that car found that the rear spring shackle on the front left spring had not been completely tightened down during assembly, and this loose spring attachment compensated for shimmy. This discovery led to the development of the trunion block, which was used until Packard implemented their independent front axle system.

Kind of a neat 'accidental' discovery.
Tom

Tom,

Yesterday, Wade did mention it's called a trunnion block but I couldn't recall the term so left it out of my narrative, thanks for the background to it's development and usage. On Kevin's '35 it is on the right front spring probably because it is a RHD car.

Tom and Howard,

I think I've found a supplier of switches closer to home, Dick Smith Electronics, an Aussie electronics chain see link.http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=tilt+switch&x=0&y=0&asug=&sessionid=48c1980600806e82273fc0a87e01069f&ts=new

Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
A common error when doing brake relining on cars with the trunnion block, at least the ones with 2-shoe brakes thru 1936, is to use the same brake lining width on all four wheels. If you check your specifications you'll see that the left-front wheel used a narrower lining, 1/2 inch narrower on the Eights and Super Eights and 5/8 inch narrower on the Twelves (data for 1934).

And Dave,

I had noticed the difference in brake lining size in some research for other matters and was curious as to why, now I know!

To all you guys - A BIG

Posted on: 2008/9/5 16:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was sure you would find something close. The mercury switch looks about the same we have here and rating looks good. The rolling ball looks marginal. If you choose that one, would suggest checking how many mA your lamp draws at 6V. The 20mA rating of switch isn't very much.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Trunnion Block.
Referring to Tom's comment that the trunnion block was introduced on the 1930 7th Series cars. At the risk of being picky, the trunnion block was introduced on the 1929 6th Series. According to the Turnquist book it can also be found on some late 443 Series (1928). Turnquist also says that it was invented by a Frenchman and the right to its exclusive use was purchased by Packard.
The trunnion block is on the LHS of both of my 6th Series cars, they are both RHD.
David

Posted on: 2008/9/5 20:47

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote:
Trunnion Block.......The trunnion block is on the LHS of both of my 6th Series cars, they are both RHD. David

David,

I don't think Wade's '34 has a Trunnion Block either side but I'll check next week when I'm back in the workshop.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 23:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The trunnion block is on the LHS of both of my 6th Series cars, they are both RHD.
David

Thanks Dave for that observation. I guessed (perhaps incorrectly) that the trunnion would be on the steering side. But a last question, were your 6th series cars built as RHD at Detroit for export, or were they converted locally? I think the answer to that would conclude the question.

Posted on: 2008/9/6 8:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
David,

Thanks for the correction on the series number. My memory failed me, and it was the 6th, not the 7th series where it first appeared. My source (the Kimes book) seems to indicate that it was a Packard development:

"A happy accident had seen to the adoption of the 'loose trunnion' mount for the rear end of the left front spring. During testing, one of the cars seemed to be free of wheel fight and shimmy when others were not, over the same test road. Examination showed that the left front spring rear mount was loose. This led to the design of a rocker mount held in place by four short compression springs, ..."

Anyone know of any other source to corroborate either version of events?

Tom

Posted on: 2008/9/6 12:22
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Trunnion Block,
I should have checked before stating that the trunnion blocks were on the LHS on my 1929's. I just checked , both cars have the trunnion blocks on the RHS same side as the steering box. These Packards were fully manufactured in US as RH drive cars before export to Australia.
Sorry about the misinformation.
As for the origin of the idea, I would suspect that Beverly Kimes was aware of the much earlier comments by Turnquist and her research revealed different information. Interesting.
David

Posted on: 2008/9/6 20:56

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Friday 15th August 2008......Then onto the front sway bar which although in place hadn't been hooked up because the links didn't appear to reach and fit. Started by jacking the right side of the front suspension up because currently the '41 is sitting on jack stands and the front suspension is "hanging". By doing this the gap between the sway bar and the mount on the front suspension was shortened but not enough. So tried the same on the left side with of course the same result but while doing this thought I may have mounted the sway bar upside down........

And why don't they fit? Because they appear to be for '48 - '51 Packards as I just found on eBay! See pic's

Attach file:

jpg  (27.00 KB)
226_48c4b1ee821b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (6.78 KB)
226_48c4b1fe76284.jpg 164X286 px

Posted on: 2008/9/8 0:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved