Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Was keen on a Clipper: Bubba's flame wrench!
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
A friend was good enough to check out a V-8 Clipper for me and took a good many photos. It is a rock solid South Western car. The car has a good deal of merit but then I saw this photo.

My guess it that few of these Junior cars had dual exhaust.
Was the Clipper frame made with just one opening for the pipes? This looks to be the Driver's side.
While this may not be a structural issue, It is bound to affect it's value. ( In the event that this is not early production change...)

Your feedback will be of value!

Attach file:

jpg  (99.19 KB)
15023_52e5499516478.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/1/26 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Was keen on a Clipper: Bubba's flame wrench!
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Are you considering buying the car? What year Clipper? How about more photos. Definitely frame has been modified. Looks like a generator just ahead of pipe.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe this was discussed on Cli55er's project pages. Maybe he can refresh the memory on the discussion. His car also had a large hole cut -- presumably for exhaust. The Supers had a dual option so at least some of the 5540 frames should have had a hole if factory equipped. Interesting thing on Cli55er's frame is his is a Clipper Custom which was supposedly equipped with duals yet had a poorly cut hole. Was it factory or a shadetree exhaust guy who did the deed on his?

That car you were interested in was neatly done compared to his. Believe the conclusion was early frames on those cars that were to be equipped with single exhaust did not have the hole. If Hank doesn't see this thread, perhaps someone remembers the discussion or if there was documentation as to when the holes became standard.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 15:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Yup my car had the same thing so they could run dual exhaust. It was a crude round hole cut with a torch. Didn't seem to hurt anything so I left it since I plan on putting duals back on it.

Your hole is much neater then mine.... Although much larger. If it hasn't caused any problems so far.... I wouldn't worry about it. If originality and resale is your thing... Then pass. But if not... Then it should be just fine and save you the trouble if you plan to keep duals.

My car was a march 55 production.

Also that generator is actually the TL motor and is normal.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 21:46
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
That couldn't be a factory hole, the color from the torch is still fresh. I would worry about compromised strength without a doubler around the cutout but that's aircraft thinking. I have a tough time simplifying my thinking for cars.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 21:55
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 55 Clipper Super has single exhaust and no hole in LH side of frame x-member for dual exhaust. It also has the conventional suspension.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/26 22:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have absolutely no credentials to analyze structural integrity but my gut reaction to that large opening is that may well constitute a compromise to the integrity of the frame and I'd think seriously about some form of reinforcement.

Posted on: 2014/1/26 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thanks guys. Hey 55, I saw your photos of P9 on your thread.
There is a '55 400 that I would like to look at before I talk money with the owner of this one, It can't warm up soon enough out there!

Posted on: 2014/1/27 10:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved