Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 8 volt batteries?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
6-VOLT to 12-VOLT CONVERTER FOR POSITIVE GROUND CARS. There is an alternative to changing your entire polarity, if you want to add a stereo or charging port for electronics.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9011&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10

Posted on: 2013/1/14 14:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A good suggestion for those wanting GPS or modern sound items. There are several of these converters out there. Just remember in doubling the voltage from 6 to 12v, there is a tradeoff so a limit on the output. Be careful what you try to run off them.

The unit Joe mentions is rated 6 amps and says it can handle a motor. Looks similar to the one offered by Newport Engineering for their wiper motors. Unless it specifically mentions they can handle them, most do not like high inrush current loads found in motors, solenoids, clutches etc. The low continuous amp out capacity also eliminates the majority of AC blowers.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 15:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Polarizing a generator only requires an instantaneous connection. Longer than that accomplishes nothing. Polarizing the generator simply instills a small amount of permanent magnetism of the proper orientation in the field assemblies.

If a generator should have been polarized and wasn't it won't show a charge. If it shows a charge then the polariztion is correct.

The polarity of the coil should be such that the coil terminal that goes to the distributor is the same as the battery ground.

Owen,

Thanks for the concise response. The generator light goes out when I start the car, so I'm assumin' the generator must have been re-polarized to negative ground at some point.

JUST ONE THING: What gets connected "instantaneously" to re-polarize? What exactly are the motions one goes through to do this? (If it has anything to do with a magic wand of any type, I'll know I've been punk'd all along.)

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
In a positive ground car all you would have to do is remove the connector from the negative terminal of the battery and use a short piece of wire to jump momentarily between the battery negative and the GEN terminal of the regulator or the Armature terminal directly on the generator for a second or so. I do this a couple of times.

I actually did it with a clip lead (wire with two alligator clips on the ends) and I connected between the Gen and Bat terminals on my regulator. Then I touched the battery cable to the battery post for a couple of seconds. I removed the clip lead before I reconnected the battery cable.

I always remove one battery connector before I work on the electrical system. I go for the side that isn't grounded which is negative in my case. The regulator terminals are BAT - GEN - FLD left to right.

What you accomplish is magnetizing the Field polarity which is the outer shell and pole pieces of the generator in the proper polarity.

After I start the engine and everything looks OK and the GEN light has immediately gone out, I measure the voltage at the battery which should be about 7.5 if the system is charging correctly.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/1/17 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
THANK YOU JIM!

Posted on: 2013/1/22 23:07
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Not to semi-steal this thread, but it did get me off my butt as I've been meaning to rebuild the generator on my '51 for at least 6 months now. The car has been charging in a hap hazarded manner for the last year, but the rebuild was never at the top of the list.

When I saw AER & Jason names in this blog I knew the time had come, so I ordered an armature, bearings, and brushes for the beast from him. After receiving the parts I torn into the project. Got it all apart and cleaned up for paint, but had issues trying to remove the rear, pressed in bearing. So I called AER and Jason provided some helpful hints.

Therefore and wanting to give credit where it is due, I want to pass on my THANKS to everyone who has provided input on this thread and to Jason!

Posted on: 2014/5/9 19:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved