Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Packard Don, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Patrician Body Side Trim (Stainless steel)
Just popping in
Just popping in

DFriday
See User information
The body side trim has ridges. The low valleys are painted black and the high peaks are polished stainless. Does anyone know of a restoration shop that can recondition these pieces? Has anyone tried to do this them self with any success?

Posted on: 2014/6/23 22:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Patrician Body Side Trim (Stainless steel)
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i think some use pin stripping, i need to do it to my dads and my 400,

also some paint the whole thing, then sand the high rib

Posted on: 2014/6/23 22:34
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DFriday,
to PackardInfo, but I don't have your answer so will leave it to others to do so.

However, I invite you to include your '56 Patrician in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 22:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as I know, no one is doing it or reproducing the stainless. Several of us have done the painting using different methods with varying results.

Riki touched on a couple of ways. The pinstriping method using a roller applicator. Some have tried that method and report it is tedious and requires a very steady hand to keep the pen on track but can be done.

Another method is spraying the entire piece, waiting until the paint gets tacky and then wiping it off the ridges with a cloth dampened with lacquer thinner. The cloth has to be just barely damp and supported over a hard surface like a block of wood. You have to be careful so the depth it goes into the piece is consistent and paint is only removed from the ridges. The cloth needs a fresh surface frequently. Too much pressure can squeeze thinner out of the rag to run into the painted area so another area of caution. That seems to be the most successful method but again, tedious.

I hadn't head of anyone doing the paint, let it dry and sand method but if the paper is cushioned so it can conform to the ridges a bit, extremely fine grit and done by wet sanding, it might be easier to control and might work better than the damp cloth. The only thing I would wonder about is if the stainless would be dulled by the paper

Posted on: 2014/6/23 23:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
a guy in the sd pac club did in the 80s on his 55 400, looked good,

ps the sanding, ,,

after the paint dried i guess you could run a buffer over it, to polish the rib..

Posted on: 2014/6/23 23:41
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Painting and sanding with 1500 or 2000 grit works . Use a block and be careful. I have also used fine steel wool to remove paint from chrome or stainless. I have had little luck with lacquer thinner since it removes the paint from the channels.
Since you can use fine grit paper to remove scratches from stainless moldings before polishing with a buffer, the shine can be readily restored .
Any way you do it - it's a pain.e

Posted on: 2014/6/24 0:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
When I did mine, I used black pin striping tape. Took me 3 1/2 weeks doing a little each night and both days on the weekend. Afterwards covered the whole thing with clear. On my wifes car I said no way and painted all the tin foil red.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 8:19
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i also thought of removing it on the 400,,, tri paint ,, but its hiding the rust for now,

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved