Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cuban Packard Distributor and '55 & '56 Packard Caribbeans in Cuba?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mart-Emmenes
See User information
Hi, all. This my first post here. Being Canadian and living in Canada, over the years I've been able to make numerous trips to Cuba. As most people know, Cuba still has thousands of 1940's right up to 1959 model-year American cars still on the road and in daily use, with the conditions of them ranging from a very few, nicely restored and/or well maintained ones to completely decrepit, butchered and cobbled up barely running monstrosities. When I'm there I'm always on the lookout for Packards. While Packards are not one of the more common makes of American cars still in daily use there , I have seen several, mostly late '40's to early 50's Clippers and Patricians and one very rough but still fairly original 1954 Caribbean convertible. I'm wondering, does anybody know the name of the Cuban Packard importer and distributor during that era? Since most 'pre-1959 revolution' buildings in Cuba are still in use and mostly unchanged and still in their original form,with their original facades and cast or carved signage still intact, with a company name to go by and start my search for an address with, I could probably track down and photograph the original office and showroom. Also, does anyone know of any 1955 or '56 Packard Caribbeans being shipped new to Cuba and if so so, how many?? If there were some '55 and '56 model Caribbeans sold new there and if any have survived, finding and photographing one and talking to the owner and possibly even getting a ride in it(!) would be a truly amazing treat.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 18:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Cuban Packard Distributor and '55 & '56 Packard Caribbeans in Cuba?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mart-Emmenes,
to PackardInfo.

According to the Packard Dealership listing here on Site, there are two dealer records in Cuba.

J. Ulloa & Company

J. Ulloa y Cia.

Not much info and, could be one and the same dealer?

And, if by happenchance you have Packard I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 19:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi Mart-Emmenes, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

Quote:
... could be one and the same dealer? ...

More likely than not with view to the variety of represented brands.

"...In 1931, of the 20 makes of automobiles for sale, many did not depend on an individual dealer for each and every brand. Packard, Hudson and Essex cars, as well as White trucks, were sold by one dealer, J.Ulloa & Co...."

source: "El Automovil de Cuba" on hemmings.com

Posted on: 2015/9/9 20:38
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mart-Emmenes
See User information
Thank you, Ozstatman! Yes, both listings are for the same company - the one with the Havana "Prado" street address most likely being an earlier, circa 1920s location and the "53 Paseo de Marti" address most likely a later location I just got back from Cuba in June and probably wont be visiting Cuba again until sometime next spring but when I'm in Havana I'll definitely search out those addresses and see if any signs of a former Packard dealership and showroom remain at those location and get some photos.

I don't own a Packard myself - I wish I did. My closest connection to the marque is my now 85 year-old dad, who in 1950, bought an - 'extremely rare in Canada due to Canada's war effort starting in 1939, almost three years before that of the the US and thus officially not supposed to have been imported or sold here'- 1942-model Packard Clipper. The car was supposedly bought new by a doctor in 1942, which may explain how it came to be legally imported despite government war-time regulations banning new cars sales to most other civilians. The doctor appare4ntly died suddenly in 1945 and his still almost new car then sat untouched in a garage for 5 more years until my dad found it and purchased for just 150 dollars sometime around 1950. He still some photos of that car taken in 1950 or '51` that Ill try to get scanned and post.

I'm still curious about how many if any '55 and '56 Caribbeans may have been shipped new to Cuba.if anybody has that information.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I'm still curious about how many if any '55 and '56 Caribbeans may have been shipped new to Cuba.if anybody has that information.

Dave (Owen_Dyneto) -> once mentioned:

Quote:
...There is a table of exports by year in the Kimes-edited book...

Posted on: 2015/9/9 21:49
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Reviewing the 56 Caribbean convertible listing does not show any shipped to Cuba. You might try contacting the Studebaker National Museum to see if any 56 Packards were shipped.
http://tappinn.com/view/page/p/112755

Posted on: 2015/9/9 21:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looking forward to seeing Photos of your Dad's Clipper.

Another avenue you could try for info on Cuban dealers is that of the Dealerships & Factory Branches Forum on the PAC website.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 22:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
My records in 1956 don't show any deliveries to Cuba. One did go to Dominican Republic and several to Mexico. But nothing listed for delivery in Cuba.

Will check my 1955 records later.

Remember that back in those days there was a ferry line that ran back and forth to Cuba from Florida and you could take your car with you-as many American visitors did. So even if a Caribbean ended up in Fidel's country, it might very well have not been delivered there originally.

It would be nice to know the serial number of the 1954 Caribbean that is there.

Oh... and since we're on the subject of Packards and Cuba and since there is mention of the old buildings still being intact (hmmm)... what ever happened to the Packard Hotel there and what does it look like today?

The address was 51 Prado Blvd, Havana. I have attached a photo of how it looked in the 1950s.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.60 KB)
1249_55f230dac2097.jpg 818X508 px

Posted on: 2015/9/10 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
J. Ulloa y Cia, Paseo de Marti, 53 Moderno in Havana was Packard's distributor in Cuba for many years, at least back into the mid-30s and perhaps earlier.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Mart-Emmenes wrote:
Thank you, Ozstatman! Yes, both listings are for the same company - the one with the Havana "Prado" street address most likely being an earlier, circa 1920s location and the "53 Paseo de Marti" address most likely a later location I just got back from Cuba in June and probably wont be visiting Cuba again until sometime next spring but when I'm in Havana I'll definitely search out those addresses and see if any signs of a former Packard dealership and showroom remain at those location and get some photos.

I don't own a Packard myself - I wish I did. My closest connection to the marque is my now 85 year-old dad, who in 1950, bought an - 'extremely rare in Canada due to Canada's war effort starting in 1939, almost three years before that of the the US and thus officially not supposed to have been imported or sold here'- 1942-model Packard Clipper. The car was supposedly bought new by a doctor in 1942, which may explain how it came to be legally imported despite government war-time regulations banning new cars sales to most other civilians. The doctor appare4ntly died suddenly in 1945 and his still almost new car then sat untouched in a garage for 5 more years until my dad found it and purchased for just 150 dollars sometime around 1950. He still some photos of that car taken in 1950 or '51` that Ill try to get scanned and post.

I'm still curious about how many if any '55 and '56 Caribbeans may have been shipped new to Cuba.if anybody has that information.

Take a look at the photo of the Hotel Packard in Havana, Cuba I just posted...whatever happened to it?

Posted on: 2015/9/12 13:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved