Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

Mopar_Earl, Darrin180, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Color schemes for 1936-1937 120s
Just popping in
Just popping in

ritterdm
See User information
I am working on purchasing a 1936 120B or 1937 120C and would like to have a car in an originally offered color scheme. I may ultimately repaint the car I purchase to such a scheme of my choosing. PackardInfo.com and other sources have been helpful in providing the solid colors, pin-striping and wheel color combos avail from the factory. However I understand some two color combos, maroon over black fenders, cream over brown fenders etc. were also available. I also understand some of the colors offered as pin stripe colors could be had as body colors as well.

Could anyone recommend where I might be able to find more info on the two-tone and special color options avail in 1936 and 1937.

Many thanks,
Dave Ritter

Posted on: 2016/2/26 17:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Color schemes for 1936-1937 120s
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You may want to check this one as well. There is a Packard letter at the end of this that explains a lot of paint detail. Not sure if this may help or not.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SW_Enamels.pdf

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "120" (and it's lesser companion 110) were pure volume production cars and unlike the seniors, deviations from standard were very few and far between. Probably the best source for really good info on them can be found in Darvin Kuehl's fine book "The Production Packard 1935-1937". As I recall 2-tone paint was not offered, nor for that matter was any "special" paint outside the factory offerings - though it was still available on the senior car line. I'm not absolutely certain on this but reasonably confident that 2-tone paint was not offered on any Packards after 1934 and not again until 1940 or 1941; IMO and that of many others they just don't have the body lines to attractively support 2-toning. Again just MO but 2-tone cars of this vintage all too often look awkward, sometimes even garish.

Lot's of great single colors to chose from, my recommendation is to stay with a single body color plus the appropriate pin stripe.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 19:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave(ritterdm),
to PackardInfo. The Flackmaster, usually located in Texas but currently in NZ enjoying their Packard National Rally, is our 36/37 120's resident expert, and would most likely be able to give a definitive answer. Hopefully he'll see your post and respond. However when, not if, you purchase a'36 120B or '37 120C I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/2/27 0:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ritterdm
See User information
Very helpful. Thx.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 15:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ritterdm
See User information
This was my sense as well. My mechanic and I have looked at several solid cars recently. We saw one very strong one in a two tone scheme, which I suspect was not originally offered.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is a color chip for the 37 Packards. No two tone options listed, but quite a variety of color. I think the 41 models where the first ones in that era for two toning, and they weren't very common even then.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1937-Packard-pg01.jpg

Posted on: 2016/2/28 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The wrap around beltline trim of the 41's sets up two toning. It was featured in ads a lot. On the 37's it seems to fight the streamlining efforts

Posted on: 2016/2/28 18:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Dave(ritterdm),
Congratulations on your purchase and for including your '37 One Twenty Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looks very nice.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 18:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved