Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

hello! New here and to Packard's
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Hello everybody!! I'm new to everything Packard, I've built my fare share of hot rods and muscle cars but feel in love with this Packard.
I just recently pick up a 1948 super 8 club sedan the majority of the car seems to be original and in pretty good shape for being almost 70 but it does have a couple serious modifications to it that are not worth bringing it back to original so I'm going to stay with it and go resto mod/ ratrod with.
The most serious mod done is someone before me decided it needed lambo doors, it definitely adds a wow factor LOL. Also they changed the hood to lift forward instead of to the side, that one isn't so bad and looks good. But the doors I actually want to change but they did a lot of cutting and fab work to do the conversion it'll be way to hard to change back so I was thinking maybe going suicide door with it but will see.
Anyways I'm happy to be a part of the community and hope to learn a lot so any tips and tricks will definitely help!

Rob

Posted on: 2017/1/2 8:00
 Top  Print   

Re: hello! New here and to Packard's
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Welcome Rob! Your Packard has been talked about a year or two ago when it was for sale in California. That is a nice looking car and pretty rare 2 door model but I agree the doors gotta go. I think I could live with the hood (for a while)
You'll find a very dedicated group of Packard lovers here and most of us are purist but don't let that hold you back.
Shortly you will be "nagged", pursuit, "pressured", invited, notched by crocodile Dundee from down under to register your Packard in our registry on this site. (It's not nearly as bad as I describe here ). Mal is actually a very nice bloke that single handedly manages to get as many Packards registered as possible.

Congratulations on your "new" car.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 9:08
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It takes quite a bit of structure to support the
lambo" style doors, you should be glad they did that or you might have a mess. All the weight/force reorients on one side. Suiciding from stock is just swopping the hinge sides, reinforcing the b pillar and door, and a bit easier. Going from one to the other might get messy, unless you can scrounge up a parts car, cut out and start fresh. They don't call them suicide for nothing, however, so be forewarned.
It's one of those dilemmas one gets into when they hot rod, it's to the owner's taste, and it's never exactly as the next guy wants it or they all look alike... That's why resto mod is so popular, all the comforts of modern, but the nostalgic look. I see people wanting to add FI or other modern things to these old stocks and I just shake my head. Silk purse, sow's ear...
I'm trying to leave mine as stock as possible, with period mods, for that reason. Save the orig parts w/ the car, so theoretically, it could go back, if someone wanted that.
So wanting to mod right away, maybe that particular vehicle is not the best choice for you, overall, give it some time to grow on you first. There's always other fish in the sea. Modifying/chopping it further won't enhance its value but it'll be to your taste. It's just is it quality work and does that taste sell when it comes time to part ways.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Rob.....
This is the place to be, never a better group of Packard enthusiasts to be found anywhere. We have Packard owners and lovers from all over the world dropping in to learn and share freely to everyone in need. Be sure to avail yourself of all the literature to be found on this site, IMO, the depth and breadth of material available here must be one of the largest collections of Packard lore you'll find anywhere. Additionally, I have found relative to this forum, "there are no dumb questions" with a wealth of very informed Packard gurus available with insights and sometimes parts needed. So, welcome .
Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/2 12:03
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Rob

Let me add my welcome to this friendliest, most knowledgeable, welcoming, generous, helpful and civil Packard forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement here standing by.

As noted, there are no dumb questions, ask any and all that arise, but do a search first which because so many have encountered the same issues, will frequently produce instant answers to the problem at hand.

To document your progress and share it with all of us, please start a project blog in that section. Not only does it make it easier to post your questions but also to find the answers later. Of course, we all like to see how things are progressing too. Check out the other Project blogs for ideas as well.

Good luck with your '48. As you have a need for a parts car, this one might be worth acquiring since its somewhat near you:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5892515030.html

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/2 14:08
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Rob(Packrat48),
to PackardInfo.

"Shortly you will be "nagged", pursuit, "pressured", invited, notched by crocodile Dundee from down under to register your Packard in our registry on this site. (It's not nearly as bad as I describe here ). Mal is actually a very nice bloke that single handedly manages to get as many Packards registered as possible"
Don't know if the above comments by BDC prompted, persuaded or "pressured" you but, whatever the reason, for including your '48 Super Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 16:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hey, how about some pictures - I'd love to see those doors!

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/2 18:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
I will get some pictures on tonight

Posted on: 2017/1/2 18:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
thanks OZ,

I wanted to let you know that my car is in the registry twice one from a previous owner that has a lot of wrong info mainly the model number so you might want to remove that one.

Posted on: 2017/1/2 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Welcome Packrat48! I wondered who bought that car,saw it on C.L. in the Bay Area. Next time I'm heading north maybe I can give you a shout to check out you new car.

You have some great people here at Packardinfo and a bunch in Nor Cal than can help to. Congrats and welcome again

Posted on: 2017/1/2 20:55
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved