Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
what transmissions will fit in a 1948 super eight with the 327? tring to get an idea of year range and if there are any others that bolt in..
thanks for any help

Posted on: 2017/1/11 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission question
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I recall that 48-50 except Custom 8's with 356 engine will interchange

Posted on: 2017/1/11 19:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
sense these are Borge Warner OD units were the R9 and R11 OD's used on other cars and will they bolt up the packards 3 speed?

Posted on: 2017/1/11 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
R9 & R11's are Packard only. G

Posted on: 2017/1/11 19:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but from what I understand, although R9 and R11 OD's are Packard specific and do "bolt on" they aren't a bolt on conversion. For one you need an OD transmission mainshaft, because it's different from a standard 3 speed mainshaft. From my point of view, anyone doing a conversion from standard trans to an OD would be better placed to buy an entire package of Trans, OD, Governor, Solenoid, Relay, Lock out cable and hardware, OD specific wiring, Bellhousing bottom piece, Snubber and mounting. Anything I've missed?

Posted on: 2017/1/11 20:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Packrat; Your Brother picked up the switch about 20 minuet ago. I just rebuilt 4 R9s and I think we need to talk about what problems you have as I am very familiar with the Packard OD transmissions and can walk you through what you need to do to solve the problem. You need to come up to Sactown towards the end of the month.

Posted on: 2017/1/11 21:27

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Dell, thank you very much!! I for sure want to come meet you and talk to you about these cars.
my issue with the trans is it would not move in reverse at all with out messing with it back and forth then it would work, it was like the parking brake was on but was in the trans. Now I was able to pull the cable switch for the OD out farther and now it will go in to gear but sounds like I'm trying to put it in reverse while still moving forward?

how much would you charge to rebuild it if I end up needed that?

Posted on: 2017/1/12 1:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a sleeve inside the OD that needs to slide when trans goes into reverse or OD is locked out. A rod in the trans is actuated by the reverse fork to move the sleeve. That sleeve locks together the overrunning clutch and planetary so the car can reverse. It could be gummed up so it can't slide or is partially blocked and not free to slide.

I would suggest you go under and disconnect the cable from the lever on the passenger side of trans. Until you get the cable moving free, manually move the lever all the way so the end points forward and wire it there. That will lock the OD out and should allow the ring to slide and lock the parts together.

Another very common possibility is someone could have removed the solenoid at some point and when reinserting it did not get the end of plunger into the slot in the pawl. If not in the slot, the length of the plunger will move the pawl inward and can cause the pawl to force the unit into OD. The result would be the same as the electrical reverse lockup problem described in the service counselor article I referred to a few days ago where in selecting reverse the planetary and over running clutch try to turn in opposite directions and become locked together.

The procedure for reinstalling the solenoid to properly engage the ball into the pawl slot is to electrically energize the solenoid so the plunger is extended. With the plunger extended the solenoid can be tilted to move the ball end past the slot at the front edge and then the solenoid body can be manipulated to engage the slot as you move the solenoid into place. If the wiring and components are intact you can force the solenoid to energize by having knob in, key on and grounding the AD (more centered terminal) at the governor. If the wiring is disconnected use fairly heavy wire to engage manually. Bat ground to the solenoid case and with the hot lead, connect the voltage to both terminals 3 AND 4 at the same time.

If you do remove the solenoid to check engagement also verify it and the spacer was or is reinstalled correctly. At a glance the assy appears symmetrical but it is not. If forced things will bolt on incorrectly and then most likely bind in operation. The spacer has small holes on one side which goes to the rear and the solenoid has 3 of the terminals generally oriented toward the rear.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.80 KB)
209_5877a60008072.jpg 688X498 px

jpg  (40.42 KB)
209_5877a851ec120.jpg 706X526 px

Posted on: 2017/1/12 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Packrat; HH56 has covered what you need to do very well. Get the cable unhooked and move arm forward and wire it there and see what happens.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 21:20

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Thank you guys, what level of difficulty would it be to rebuild this myself? I'm very mechanically inclined but have never tried rebuilding a transmission.

Posted on: 2017/1/12 22:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved