Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

PackardSanta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Custom made pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Has Egge changed their material? I ask because Jack had commented previously about having to run much higher clearance to allow for expansion and had significant slap.

Not so much the material as the machines on which they're made. The newer machinery seems to give an improved cam grind which allows for more even expansion.

Egge's still have to have more clearance than the .0005"-.0015" the factory recommended using the steel strut Bohnalite OEMs. On complete rebuilds, where everything is clean, I usually set Egge's up with at least .002"; there won't be any noise.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/2/5 14:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bob,
for including your '56 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2017/2/5 14:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
For my reference, what would be the other modifications done when using high performance pistons, and what would be target use of the completed vehicle?

If Egge produced pistons for the 374, would thee be a need for looking into the forged options, or would everyone just go with the Egge pistons?

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/2/7 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The mild modifieds are more over on the '56 Golden Hawk side, but even some Packard owners want a bit more cam duration, a rebuilt and recurved distributor and the Caribbean intake. For this level, the Egge pistons would be fine.

There have been a few modified drag Packards and even a few V8s used in rail jobs and sports cars, so those would naturally need forged pistons.

FWIW, I've put forged pistons in at least a dozen builds for more serious performance. At present, I'm building a supercharged 440" forged stroker crank with custom Diamond forged pistons and Scat rods.

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/2/7 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I used Egge on my 54 Caribbean and the tops of 2 pistons cracked. Went to Aries Forged pistons and never had a problem. It's now 19 years since I did it!

Posted on: 2017/2/7 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Come to think of it, I also used Aries pistons in my Pacific, also no problem since it was done 16 years ago. Still runs like a dream!

Posted on: 2017/2/7 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Two comments:

The '54 Caribbean is a completely different application than the '56 Caribbean. The piston designs have little in common. Egge pistons of twenty years ago have little in common with what they're making today.

Yes, Arias makes some of the best forged pistons. Last quote I got from them was $200 each.

(Nick Arias just passed away recently. R.I.P., Big Nick)

jack vines

Posted on: 2017/2/7 23:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
I spoke with both Egge and Kanter and they said that their current versions of this piston are built with a steel strut similar to the factory piston.

Posted on: 2017/3/1 14:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved