Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Help w/ 39 Sedan Six oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Original filter lines would have been steel, not copper if that matters to you. Also with regard to plumbing the inlet and outlet backwards, the purpose of the cone at the bottom is to accumulate the sludge so if you reverse inlet and outlet the sludge will build up betweem the outside of the cartiridge and canister wall and if left unattended will eventually close off or restrict the flow. If your filter happens to be plumbed such that the outlet becomes the feed for the lifters, this would have unpleasant consequences. Some models used an exterior pigtail directly connecting the feed to the return to prevent this possibility. I suspect the filtration properties of the cartiridge per se will not be affected by reversing the flow.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 9:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Here's a better photo of a rat's nest, works good though.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.64 KB)
1040_496bbe3789ac2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/1/12 17:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
Where is your oil filter mounted? Is it to the side of the head? How many inches from the front of the head is the first bolt? Also, in your picture it looks like there are three tubes instead of two. Is that right?

Attach file:

jpg  (0.00 KB)
1120_496c108ad0229.jpg 0X0 px

Posted on: 2009/1/12 22:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
mgrambo wrote:.......Also, in your picture it looks like there are three tubes instead of two. Is that right?

I think you'll find that the tube to the right side is for the vacuum advance for the distributor. Just my

EDIT - Pic added of my '41 120 engine, shows filter location and lines and the vacuum advance line is not hooked up.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.45 KB)
226_496c70cc1e8d1.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2009/1/13 5:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
It is mounted by a 2 band bracket arrangement that utilizes 2 of the head bolts, alongside the thermostat housing. I am sure this is not original, but works very well. The inlet line attaches to a fitting on the block, with a small bypass to the neck base. The outlet attaches to the base of the filler neck. The line going up and over is the vacuum advance to the carb.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 7:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here you can see the filter (which has now been determined to be a pre-war filter) on my '54 block. This is plumbed for by-pass as the '54s were. But the filter is labled input on the bottom and output on the top fitting. The filter is held to the motor my a wide clamp bracket (as seen around the filter) that is attatched to the block by two bolts.

Because it's in by-pass configuration, you will see the pig tail between the sender and the upper gallery feed, and the that the output of the filter dumps back to the pan via a port on the block right above the pan.

This picture also shows the vaccuum line from the distributor to the carb base.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.83 KB)
1_496ce87359755.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/1/13 14:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved