Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 243

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic shift problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
I have a 56 Clipper with a pushbutton ultramatic. The transmission was rebuilt and electronics gone over.
The ultramatic seems to work well after running for awhile, meaning a few mile trip.

However, when cold or after sitting for a few days, reverse will not go in reverse but moves the car forward. Another few mile trip is required before reverse will begin working as it should.

Does anyone know a knowledgable technician in the North Florida area (between Jax and Orlando) who could look at the electronics?

It seems I have addressed this issue previously so any additional information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Posted on: 2009/1/17 12:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic shift problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What happens if you put it in "H", then reverse? If that works, I know exactly (possibly) what's wrong.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps the anti-hunting clutch on the actuator motor is adjusted a bit too tight - reverse is at the extreme end of travel. I suppose there could be other reasons too, but if this one, it's an easy adjust per the shop manual.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 13:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I seriously would doubt the electronics are the issue as there should be problems all the time, not just when cold.

There are a few things that come to mind involving linkage and the selector valve that might explain the non working when cold because fluid would be thick and not moving through a restricted valve whereas it probably would when hot and thin.

One is an internal problem with a loose lever on a shaft but when you say trans rebuilt and the electronics gone over, another stronger possibility is the electric actuator not adjusted properly when reinstalled and reverse is only partially being selected. Here is the procedure out of the manual to adjust & is easy and well worth checking.

If that is OK, then another possibility Packard mentions is a sticking valve in valve body and if you cannot feel a strong detent within a very narrow arc while trying the adjustment, the loose lever on inner shaft which would require at the least a pan removal.

When the trans rebuilt, was it completely gone through with new bands, bushings, clutches etc or just had a seal or 2 changed?

Attach file:

jpg  (38.50 KB)
209_4972290fbe7af.jpg 402X703 px

Posted on: 2009/1/17 13:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ramspoker wrote: I have a 56 Clipper.........Ron

G'day Ron,

Sorry I can't offer any help here.

But a request of you. Could you please add your '56 Clipper to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ron Amspoker
See User information
Thanks for all the responses. I will try each and respond to the results. Also, I don't have a good history on the car but I can come up with a picture.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try this:
Push the "N" (nuetral) button each time before u change selections. Be patient. Push the "N" button and lisen for the "N" selection to take place. THEN, press the other button desired.

Has the pushbutton pod been removed and inspected for broken contacts????/ The POD is bad about breaking contacts due to inferior assembly at the faqctory.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 20:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
when cold or after sitting for a few days, reverse will not go in reverse but moves the car forward. Another few mile trip is required before reverse will begin working as it should

PV8, It sounds as if the electric part is OK since trans eventually works normally. This feels to me more like a fluid or pressure related problem rather than electric. One thing would be manual valve not traveling full distance to direct and vent pressure. If it stopped between L & R selections keeping forward applied, R wouldn't be able because the pressure couldn't apply band and maybe not enough pressure to move shuttle valve against spring to allow the bleed off. Misadjustment or loose selector shaft linkage would cause that.

Other thing Packard mentioned would be the reverse shuttle valve is sticking and not allowing reverse band to apply because the fluid on top of piston can't bleed off.

I'm thinking the thinner hot fluid would flow better past the restrictions in first case or valve unsticks in second.

Anyway, will be interesting to find out what the problem turns out to be for future reference.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
HH56. U're most likely correct in u're analysis. The shift to "N" process is ez enuf to try tho. My very low mileage Exec. has an occasional problem of engageing LOW when "D" is selected. On more rare occasions i get the same "R" selection problem as described by Ramspoker. These only seem to occur when i fail to select "N" first before the desired selection.

THis occured when the pushbutton pod was stock form, AND occurs now that the PB's are replaced with toggle switches.

The original PB pod had 'dangling chads" for contact fingers. The former owner advised to tap on the pod housing to engage "R" if it failed. The problem was a broken contact finger on the back side of the pod.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 22:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree 100% about the electric contacts--thin sheet bronze type stuff that flexes and breaks easily--but your toggles should have taken care of that. Your issue also sounds like the selector shaft lever might be a tad loose. Since the motor stops on a dime, if any looseness or misadj present, especially in reverse since that is max travel, valve wouldn't pull out all the way & would be the same result.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 22:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved