Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 202

29tons, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter help in SFO
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I'm in San Francisco and while the ignition switch works. ( there's power to the gauges) there is absolutely no sound when I press the starter button. I started the car several times today no problem. Is there a shop I. Sfo or some in the area to check it?
What do I do to diagnose?

Posted on: 2018/11/1 18:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter help in SFO
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Never mind. It just started.

Posted on: 2018/11/1 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Does your starter solenoid have a button on it? If it does, and this happens again, try starting using the button. Or, tap the solenoid with a screwdriver handle, may free things up that are sticking inside.

Posted on: 2018/11/1 19:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know your car isn't exactly stock with the later engine and voltage supply part of the starter button circuit but how about the rest of the electrical. If it still has the 356 safety circuit where the start circuit for the Autolite solenoid gets its ground thru the regulator or generator, a problem in that part of the circuit will give you that exact symptom of nothing happens and then it might work OK and then maybe not work the next time.

If you do have the safety circuit it can be bypassed by removing the wire at the regulator which comes directly from one of the solenoid relay terminals and connecting it directly to ground. The stock wire will either be connected to a 4th terminal on the regulator probably marked as "T" if it has an original type regulator or the ARM or GEN terminal along with the wire to the generator if it has a more modern three terminal regulator. Removing the wire and connecting to ground will prevent problems in the regulator or generator from affecting the starter.

Posted on: 2018/11/1 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
From the info given, sounds a simple as a loose wire or connector. Check and make sure everything is tight.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 8:33
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Battery connections?

Posted on: 2018/11/2 13:28
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved