Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fuel punp valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Sounds like it

Posted on: 2019/2/12 11:56
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

. . . But it apparently needs to connect to a tach lead which I hadn't noticed before. Otherwise it seems like a good device to use in antomating the system (without a toggle switch!).

Posted on: 2019/2/12 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There have been some who install an ordinary idiot light type oil pressure switch to provide the same function. When the key turns on and engine is off the pump will operate. As soon as engine starts and oil pressure is up the pump turns off. Need to make sure the switch can handle the pump load or else provide a relay but that is one way to have the pump turn off when not needed. I think it would be a good idea to add a toggle switch in parallel with the pressure switch for those times when you might want to run the pump with the engine running (vapor lock) but otherwise an inexpensive and easy to wire control. For anyone wanting to do that I would get a pressure switch with a fairly low switch pressure rating. A low threshhold and the switch would not trip and want to turn the pump on when the oil pressure drops during engine idling.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Have u guys ever heard of Rube Goldberg

Pull the Elect Pump and run down the road. Ive been running my 34 since 1970 and can only remember one sign of a Vapor Lock and that was just a sign and it went away. That with many VMCCA Tours and CCCA Tours. Many miles and a lot of fun.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT

Posted on: 2019/2/12 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
JW, just as a generalization almost all mechanical pumps are better pushers than pullers. You might want to browse some engineering references.

Thanks, OD. Are you referring to electrically or mechanically operated pumps, or both? Interesting discussion and lots of good input from all.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 13:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Thanks to you all for the interesting and useful comments. I am overwhelmed by the interest my query generated. At present I am using solely a vane electric pump as my mechanical is not working.
I will send for a kit as advised, and then the electric can be returned to its original purpose, which was to get fuel to the carburetor before starting.
Thanks and kind regards, Dennis.

Posted on: 2019/2/13 3:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello All, Thanks for the replies to my query. I am overwhelmed by the interest in the subject. I will order a kit. Kind Regards. Dennis.

Posted on: 2019/2/13 3:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had good luck dealing with vapor lock problems by adding about 5% diesel fuel to the gasoline. Vapor locking stopped after this. Did not notice any smoking or other signs of the diesel fuel mixture. This was on a 47 Custom Clipper that had been prone to vapor lock. I did not have any vapor locking problems with a 37 Six and a 55 Super Clipper.

Also, I prefer to crank the engine until I see a reading on the oil pressure gauge, then start it. This allows some oil circulation so the engine does not start "dry". Figure it is less expensive to overhaul the starter a little more often than deal with ring, cylinder, bearing and journal wear caused by "dry" starting.

The 55 Clipper did have an electric pump when I bought it and left it there, but did not need to use it.

One person's experience, yours may be different.

Posted on: 2019/2/13 14:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved