Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 258 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I must say the the gear oil that is in my Diff is the smellest stuff ever. I must have scrubbed my hands 30 times and I can still smell it.

They have pills to cure a smelly rear-end ya know.

Posted on: 2009/1/29 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah, modern medicine is amazing. Pills to cure everything. Even things that are normal. Just ask alice, when she's 10 feet tall.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Or when she was just small....

Remember, what the door mouse said!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Feed your head!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
i guess it's about time for Owen to show up and tell us:

"Now that you've had your fun and humor, let me bring us back to the original topic for a moment ..."

GUFAW HA HA HA HA HA !!!!

However, all of this has suddenly reminded me of several dash, window and other types stickers and decals that were popular during the 50's thru mid 70's era. I never cared much about stickers and decals but i'll start a different thread about those anyway. Remeber the "Mr Speed" cigar smoking wood pecker heads of the 60's and earlier???

Posted on: 2009/1/31 9:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Mr. Horsepower?

Attach file:

jpg  (18.96 KB)
633_4984a1325b03b.jpg 300X302 px

jpg  (34.69 KB)
633_4984a173af773.jpg 500X536 px

Posted on: 2009/1/31 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
One of the ones I remember which is Cadillac or Packard related was the Blue Coral stickers on the vent window which stated car was blue Coral protected wash with clear water only. My uncle would take his Cadillac to dealer once a year for a Blue Coral job think they charged around a $100 dollars to due the job.
I remember later on going to the Packard garage and buying the Blue Coral package to apply myself to my car It was a lot of work to apply a two step process cleaner then the sealer lots of elbow grease needed

Posted on: 2009/1/31 14:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know exactly what the Blue Coral treatment consisted of but must have been a good money maker for the dealer. If you look thru a lot of the war era and post war service counselors, there were a lot of blue coral contests and suggestions on getting customers to spring for a treatment.

Posted on: 2009/1/31 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Kev,

Re Route 66

Several years ago I was traveling from MN to AZ and stopped at the Route 66 Museum in Clinton OK. I think almost anyone would enjoy that museum. They have much memorabilia, a film with lots of history, collector cars, etc. One of the nicest things they have is outside. It's one of the original cement mixers used on the highway--yes, they towed these things along and mixed the sections of good portland cement as they went. It is a long Rube Goldberg-ish contraption that is quite fascinating. I'm glad they put it out front, because without those machines and the crews that labored to lay down each section by hand, there would be no Route 66.

Also available at the Clinton museum is a little free "newspaper" publication that gives hints on how to find sections of the real "old road."

Some sections of the REAL Old 66 run just north and parallel to the blacktop of the so-called "Old 66". I kept looking to the right in that direction and noticed a flat area where there were several car tracks cutting across a weedy field.

I drove right off the blacktop and across the field about 1/4 mile to a very nice section of Old 66! One reason I think it hits those small towns is because it often runs right alongside of the RR tracks--another hint of how to find it, look for the tracks. The amazing thing is, although there were weeds growing in the expansion joints, the squares of cement pavement were PERFECT. No cracks at all to speak of.

One reason it's so hard to see these sections from the asphalt 66 is there are trees growing on both sides of the old road, draping right across it. I had my Dakota, which has been in the woods a lot, so I was determined to take it right through this canopy and really Drive Route 66 for a few hundred yards. It was an amazing experience, especially when you considered the people of Oklahoma just getting started on their journey in the Depression. I walked in the "ditch" between the road and the tracks and just imagined how many people changed tires, fixed engines, or just had picnic lunches there... it was like you could still feel them.

I have some pics somewhere and if you're interested will share some.

I'm sure the road marked as "Old Route 66" now goes over much of the real old road's pavement, but there are "virgin" slices of Route 66 like the one I found in quite a few places. Even the freeway kind of follows it, sometimes to the north, sometimes to the south--it crosses back and forth under the freeway, and there are exits for 66 marked occasionally that will put you on the "new old 66" but don't be fooled by cheap imitations, find the true Mother Road.

I'd like to do the Lincoln Highway some day too. Also, Highway 61 (revisited) goes through St. Paul near here, and that's another trip... Thunder Bay Ontario to New Orleans.

(I know this isn't exactly on--topic, but the Webmaster started it!

Posted on: 2009/2/1 19:06
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Guy,

Thanks for the story on your Route 66 experiences. We could almost start a dedicated thread on that subject alone I am sure. Great stuff.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 19:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 258 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved