Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Packard Cavalier
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul R. White
See User information
Can someone provide an explanation and possibly a photo of the factory configuration for the trunk interior of a 1954 Cavalier? Also, a photo of the jack and how it was fastened down.Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 17:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Packard Cavalier
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe someone has a good original car they can get color photos from that will answer a question on color of the flock material but until that happens here is a couple of black and whites out of the 54 fact book with Packards description of the treatment.

Modern flocking material is availablehttp://www.flockit.com but the coarseness and length of fiber that Packard used in trunks must be obsolete. Packard used Rayon fibers and what is available today are very smooth and small. There is a Nylon fiber that is larger and more suited but still not like the original.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.55 KB)
209_5c917214d8903.jpg 1092X374 px

jpg  (297.28 KB)
209_5c9172206b43c.jpg 1250X1554 px

Posted on: 2019/3/19 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll check Reedy & Shaub's book on jacks tomorrow but as I recall, the jack was not fastened down. It was packaged in a cardboard box along with the wheel and fender skirt/spark plug wrenches. The box was then stored in the rear of the trunk just below the package shelf.

I have a friend with a 1954 Cavalier which he bought some gears back with about 12,000 miles on it. The description of the trunk HH gave from the fact book fully corresponds to his car.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 18:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Paul R. White,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '54 Cavalier in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 20:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
For what it's worth I vacuumed my '54 Cavalier's trunk and looked at the fibers under significant magnification. What I observed was at least 5 colors, that's is, light brown, dark brown, white, black, and a translucent tan. The fibers varied in length, but I bet the longest was 3/16 - 1/4 inch in length, and they were roughly the diameter of hair. Although I can't find the citation I was led to believe the original product was goat hair, which would somewhat explain the color variation. If you are intent on replicating the original finish with a synthetic product then a blend might be in order. The overall color was a medium brown, so I would start with a few brown hues and blend in lesser amounts of white and black, and an even smaller amount of tan/clear. I'm sure the color of the adhesive will affect the overall color presentation. If the original trunk finish was in fact goat hair then I would expect some amount of color variation car to car.

My '54's trunk had a dark (almost black . . . perhaps the mentioned asphalt sound deadening) overall color applied to the trunk sheet metal. It also had a multi piece of 'tar paper' (stapled together to form a single sheet) covering the trunk's floor . . . I guess my special composition mat that is mentioned in the brochure was lost to time. There were also 'ropes' made of a jute that filled the gap between the 'wheel tub' and the outer fender. I assumed that these were to discourage small items from dropping in to the crevasse. Those are about 2 inches in diameter and maybe 30 inches long ( I can photograph if needed). They are over bradded with thread in a large a diamond pattern.

Posted on: 2019/3/20 5:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved