Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Title for a car that never had one
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Years ago I bought a car from a no title state and tried to register it In PA. After months A notary that I had delt with for years called me and said I would never get a title for that car. I had paper work from the state that I bought it from and it was notarized, Later I was taking to a friend and he said try this notary. I did the lady looked at the paper work and said no problem.About a month later I had a title. Flash forward 15 or 20 years And I bought another car from a no title state. ( i will never learn) The lady I delt with is not around anymore. I bought a packard from a no title state and no notaries will touch it. all I have is a receipt for what i paid for the car. What is the best way to get a title for PA state?

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Title for a car that never had one
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have not seen a Hemmings in years but I remember there used to be people advertising in the Services Offered section about being able to supply missing titles. No idea how they did it or how legal it might have been but if those ads are still being placed that might be an option.

Posted on: 2021/11/29 17:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Broadway Title Company

Never used.. heard works well however, also heard some states are not always recognizing them.. do your homework. I live in a no title state. I only buy with titles.

Years ago when I bought my Cadillac it had a 1953 NY registation card with a notary stating in storage since 1953. I was able to get a NJ title at the DMV without problem... but I sweated it. I asked the owner if he had a title and he stated yes... now I ask to see proof before purchasing.

I bought a boat in Kentucky and the owner was adament we went to the DMV together to sign paperwork.. I guess Kentucky cares.. in GA just needed BOS. Actually aggrivates me some states are so lax.

Mike

Posted on: 2021/11/29 19:09
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
Funny you should mention that! My first collector car was a 1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible I bought it in the summer of 1989-The car was from NY which has no titles ( by the way I still have the car) it was an ABSOLUTE nightmare getting it titled in PA. Fortunately my father had a friend who was a notary and persuaded him to help me out. The only advice I can give you is find a friend that is a notary and be prepared for a long wait. If all else fails see your state senator they can also help. Hank Salvatore (now long gone) helped me get the paperwork squared away. No doubt dealing with PA's DMV is a nightmare!

Posted on: 2021/11/29 22:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Rhode Island by law doesn't issue a title for a car over 10 years old. Other states will accept a certified copy of a registration and a copy of the no title law. Then of course if you know somebody from NH they can register an old car on a bill of sale and for a $100 more get a title

Posted on: 2021/11/30 7:29
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I knew someone who bought a 33 V-12 from the original owner. The car not registered because it was used on the estate and from a no title state. It was a nightmare getting a title.

I knew one of those title fixers and he wouldn't handle stolen cars that had bogus paperwork. Some old low mileage car would be sitting in a ritzy New York City apartment garage and these characters would print up some bogus work orders and tow them away. Next they would slap a lien on the car and take possession. The wealthy owners never had a clue because who needs a driver's license in New York City? However, those cars have yet to see the light of day.

Here are the ones I knew of. One belonged to Doris Duke, one belonged to the Duke of Windsor, one belonged to someone who fled the Nazi's, and another sat unused from new.

Posted on: 2021/11/30 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I bought my 1964 Ghia-Imperial, it was sold on consignment from the collection of Tom Mix and had only a dealer bill of sale. It took over two years to get the title but in the end, my perseverance and knowledge of the California DMV paid off! I was in my early 20s then too but had dealt with them so much I knew their rules better than they did.

Posted on: 2021/12/1 2:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I taked to someone yesterday who said the titles that you get from places like hemmings dont work any more in PA. The Pa dmv is really bad and like 1 of the people that responded I know the rules better than them. A while back I got an older purple antique plate with the car I bought I told the lady I wanted to transfer the tag to my name and put it on 1 of my cars she said you cant do that. I told her i have done this before just put it through if it dont work I will eat the money to do it.She said you going to loose you money. Anyway she put in the paperwork and A month later the tag came back with a owners card in my name.

Posted on: 2021/12/1 5:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
They say you can get a title thru Vermont with a bill of sale. They actually issue you title and VT license plate.

Posted on: 2021/12/1 18:00
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
A number of years ago I purchased A 1963 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III in PA. The seller purchased the car in London, had it shipped over, drove it for three months, became dissatisfied with the car and parked it outdoors for seven years. He never had the car titled. I contacted the PA Dept. of Transportation and was told to pursue a Court Order from the Chester County of Common Pleas awarding me ownership. I visited the library in the Court House to determine how to properly petition the court - provided all backup info. along with the petition and had a hearing with the judge. You do not need a lawyer. The court awarded me ownership.

Posted on: 2021/12/23 11:14
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved