Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
269 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 268

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 Deluxe 8 Radiator Specs
Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
Am I correct in understanding that the 1950 Deluxe 8 touring sedan with the ultramatic transmission and 288 engine takes a somewhat unique radiator, and I can't use one for the same model but different year, or same year different model to replace mine?

The original radiator was stolen off of my car, and I have been hard pressed to find a replacement.

Edit: It looks like I have an early '50.

Attach file:

jpg  KIMG3043.JPG (349.53 KB)
226157_645282e61d65b.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/5/3 10:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Deluxe 8 Radiator Specs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With having the small engine you could use a radiator from almost any other 48-50 car. Aside from larger engine radiators being thicker or having more cores, the other difference is in the lower tank. Early Ultramatic car radiators contained an oil cooler section inside the tank which is missing in a standard radiator. Later 50 models eliminated the in radiator cooler in favor of an external unit. I don't see tubing in your photo so maybe you have the external cooler and could use the standard radiator.

Otherwise, It is hard to say if your car had the early or late version radiator and cooler but at any rate the external version was in limited production and might be hard to find if you had the radiator type cooler. In 51 they went to a different external cooler located in the water return hose path between the radiator lower outlet and water pump intake. Since the water pumps are different between 48-50 and 51-4 models, I am not sure the stock 51-4 cooler would fit a 50 but maybe an option if you had the radiator type..

If you are not concerned about authenticity you could use a standard core radiator and add either the water type or better would be a separate modern air flow type cooler. Mount that in front of the radiator or in another suitable place where it can get plenty of air flow. The lines from the Ultramatic would need to be modified slightly but that would be the case with any cooler other than whatever the car came with..

The article on page 23 in this service counselor shows the second type coolers used in 50. You might check your car and see if you can determine which type it had.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO6.pdf

One other thing is when the radiator was removed the radiator cradle top piece looks to have been cut off on your car. You may need to find another cradle if the cut off piece is no longer available or cannot be reattached using screws and lengths of flat stock. The complete cradle including top piece provides stability for the fenders and hood.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did the 48-50 cars use a narrower radiator than the 51-54 cars?

The cradle looks narrower to me. Perhaps it's just the photo angle.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 12:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, quite a bit narrower but taller, I believe.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other possibility if you absolutely cannot find a Packard radiator is to have a custom aluminum radiator made. Several have gone that route to have what is sometimes perceived to be better cooling. There are a couple of places, unfortunately both a long distance from Washington, who have made them. Even with freight I believe the price for the aluminum work has been roughly in line with what it usually costs to have one of the stock copper radiators recored.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
HH56 What places in Washington? That is my home state, so gas to pick it up might be cheaper than shipping.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 17:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Spero,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '50 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 17:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not in Washington but a long ways from it. Both are in the South. One that fits a 48 station sedan is in Alabama, don't remember offhand where the other place is located. Someone will correct me if wrong but I believe the same radiator will fit in a sedan.

Posted on: 2023/5/3 17:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spero
See User information
Does anyone know where I can find pics/specs for the early '50 radiator?
Parts number would also be good.
VIN, body number, and engine number all indicate it was made in '49 and rebranded as a '50 when it didn't sell.

Posted on: 2023/5/8 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
I have one with the internal cooler. 520-336-0057 Tucson Packard

Posted on: 2023/5/8 21:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved