Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

DavidM, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1953 Clipper-Leaking oil from the differential onto the wheels.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Hello gentlemens, I'm new here and I would need some advice from more experienced colleagues.
I would also like to apologize for my poor English, I'm from the Czech Republic and I have never studied your language.
Last year, I bought a 1953 Packard Clipper in a very poor condition, but now it's drivable and legal for our roads. Unfortunately, I still have several issues that I need to address.
The most serious one is an oil leak from the differential, through the axle shaft onto the wheel. I need advice from more experienced individuals.

Will this repair kit be sufficient?

AXLE SEAL KIT

Should I rather buy a bearing kit as well?

Rear Wheel Bearing Kit

What is your experience? Thank you very much for your help.

Stajgr

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4670 (1024x768).jpg (96.70 KB)
226278_649872bc6d7fe.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2023/6/25 12:01
 Top  Print   
Sad (1)

Re: 1953 Clipper-Leaking oil from the differential onto the wheels.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need inner oil seals. Then your will repack the bearings with axle grease. Obviously verify the bearings are in good shape, but they usually are unless horribly abused and run dry.

Posted on: 2023/6/25 13:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Two things to reference are the parts diagrams for your car:https://packardparts.com/1948-54-illustrations/

And the service manual:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/archive/content.php?op=&catID=10&ContentID=4

These will give you most of the drawings and instructions you will need for repairs.

To me it looks like the axle kit includes these parts. I would think that would fix a leaking axle, but be careful that the new seals are installed well or you will be right back where you started. In particular, ensure the axle shaft is polished smooth where the seals will go. Over the years, the grime in the differential fluid can get in between the seal and axle, and abrade that area.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2023/6/25 13:25
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To remove the brake drum and get to the bolts holding the axle and seal assy you will need a very heavy duty puller of the type shown in the service manual. Don't know about your country but over here something similar can be rented -- but will need the one for trucks and not the one used for typical small cars.

After the drum is off you can reach the bolts holding the outer seal retainer and backing plate which acts as the bearing retainer so you can remove the axle to reach the inner seal. Do not try to remove the drum with anything but a puller or you can distort or damage the drum. The other tools shown for checking end play or pulling and supporting the axle can be home made or improvised. Follow the procedure in the service manual for checking axle end play and if you do not have the manual, the rear axle section can be downloaded from the literature archive.

When you remove the axle to replace the inner seal check the area of the shaft where the seal lip makes contact to make sure there is no scoring or rough spots that can damage the new seal. When removing or replacing the axle be sure not to let the rough length of the axle shaft rest on or slide over the new seal as you move the shaft back into its position in the differential.

Attach file:

jpg  tools.jpg (162.35 KB)
209_64988d64caf8a.jpg 1384X1640 px

Posted on: 2023/6/25 13:55
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Hello, thank you all very much for the valuable advice. I will buy Axle Seal Kit, and hopefully, the bearings will be fine. I might not be able to find a wheel puller in this specific design here, but I'll try using a universal one with the same bolt pattern.
I will keep you informed about how it turns out, but it will take a few weeks. The parts will arrive in 2-3 weeks, and then there will be additional work to be done.
I will have more questions regarding other parts of the car, but for now, thank you very much, and have a nice day.

Stajgr

P.S. I have filled in some information about my car in the registry, just in case it is needed.

2692 [ 2601 ] Clipper Touring Sedan

Posted on: 2023/6/25 14:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day stajgr,
to PackardInfo.

for including your '53 Clipper Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/6/25 17:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here is a thread about drum pullers. There are a few more, the universal 3-arms ones seem to work for most people, but some people have suggested the 5-arm ones.

Here's a video about it, using a 5-arm puller:

Removing a brake drum, 1947 Packard

There are a number of threads on this topic, here is one:

Pulling the rear hub/drum

Posted on: 2023/6/25 20:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Is it possible that the rear hub is loose on the axle shaft, thus allowing lube to work along the axle shaft and keyway and leak out onto the outside of the wheel at the axle nut?

I'd think a leaking seal would allow lube to leak into the brake drum and onto the inboard side of the wheel.

If the hub is indeed loose on the shaft, a puller may not be needed, but additional parts may be.

Posted on: 2023/6/25 21:39
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
G'day stajgr,
to PackardInfo.

for including your '53 Clipper Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Thank you for the welcome, it was my pleasure to fill out the registration form. Today, I also added the engine number

Posted on: 2023/6/26 12:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

stajgr
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Here is a thread about drum pullers. There are a few more, the universal 3-arms ones seem to work for most people, but some people have suggested the 5-arm ones.

Here's a video about it, using a 5-arm puller:

Removing a brake drum, 1947 Packard

There are a number of threads on this topic, here is one:

Pulling the rear hub/drum

Perfect, thank you very much

Posted on: 2023/6/26 12:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved