Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

JD in KC, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: V12 Clutch Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The pins or dowels I was referring to are to locate the bell housing precisely so there is minimum runout. Correct, a transmission input shaft or tool with the same dimensions will locate the clutch disc.

Posted on: 2/13 12:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

Hmm......Somewhat of a quandary. Not really enough to register as a "Packard", although there have been a oouple of rare instances where a chassis oomplete with an engine has made it on to the Registry. In your case, disparate chassis aand engine types doesn't quailfy what you have as complete enough to be classified as a "Packard". I'm sorry. But, it's an interesting collection of "parts".

However, I for one, would like to know how you came to acquire the engine and chassis? Love to see you in the Registry, if you ever have the sheet metal together with a chassis/engine combo, please do so.

One day it will be far enough along for the registry. Here is what I have.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/13 16:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

However, I for one, would like to know how you came to acquire the engine and chassis? Love to see you in the Registry, if you ever have the sheet metal together with a chassis/engine combo, please do so.

Found both the engine and the chassis on Ebay. The engine came from an old-timer up in New England, he kinda sounded like Jimmy Stewart. The chassis came out of an even older guys farm in Texas, he sounded like John Wayne. Cool guys to meet and chat with. They were both very happy someone was going to put their old parts to use.

Posted on: 2/13 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
To JWL's point "Correct, a transmission input shaft or tool with the same dimensions will locate the clutch disc."
What I did on my assembly was to leave the transmission's input shaft out of the transmission until I assembled the clutch assembly to the flywheel. I used it as an alignment tool as I do not do many tranny assemblies and this got around buying a tool I may never use again. Much easier to work with than the whole weight of the transmission.
My father-in-law who did do a lot of this work would get a whole bunch of different input shafts cut off the ends of worn out transmissions for practically free at the wrecking yard to use as alignment tools, but the days of finding these old trannys in the wreckers are past I am afraid!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2/13 16:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

1887mike wrote:
I purchased a complete 1937 1506 1023 that started and ran smooth. I was told about the clutch being frozen to the flyWheel. No amount of bumping would loosen it. Maybe yours is frozen up also? I finally got it pealed off and rebuilt. No pins To keep it in place. You aligned everything with the normal type alignment tool. The car had set for decades without being moved.

Yeah, I think mine is "rust frozen" together. I'll just have to keep at it.

Posted on: 2/13 16:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
If you have enough room, try inserting a putty knife between the clutch plate and flywheel to free up the clutch plate from the flyweheel. Of course if the engine is stuck(won't turn) that may or may not be much help.

And for the info on your acquiring the cars/parts. And, with the photo you've provided, you do have "body parts" which begs the question - Does it still have the ID plate attached to the firewall? If it does, a case could be made to include it in the Regstry!

Posted on: 2/13 22:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Straight

Or mix up trans and diesel oil. Wet it down.

Posted on: 2/14 2:06
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
- Does it still have the ID plate attached to the firewall?

Sadly no, just the anti-theft number stamped on the firewall.

Posted on: 2/14 12:28
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rafaga
See User information
Quote:

R H wrote:
Straight

Or mix up trans and diesel oil. Wet it down.

Yeah, been soaking it with penetrating oil.

Posted on: 2/14 12:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved