Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Layoffs may be a good thing....
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Congrats Eric,

This is the best news I've heard all week! You'll be an asset to whomever you work for.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Eric, Congratulations and wonderful news. Working on old WW2 aircraft sounds like a dream job! Here's a WW2 era PBY and one that I worked on and flew many hours in during my youth. At the time it was the same vintage as me ( 20 years old) so not really an "old " airplane. This old "Canso", as they it is called in Canada, are a real handful and not suited to aerobatics! I imagine a P-51 would be a lot more fun.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.47 KB)
13_49ef3d68eb441.jpg 500X264 px

Posted on: 2009/4/22 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Congratulations on the dream job Eric. It's amazing how these things seem to work out. The P-51 is one of the "sexiest" planes ever built.

Carl, sorry to hear about the crash of the Tuskegge P-51. My dad is a member of the Tuskegee Airmen, Detroit chapter. He is not an original Tuskegee grad (joined the Air Force in the 50's)but he served with many of them in his 26 year career. I've had the honor of meeting several of these gentlemen over the years.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also congratulations and lets keep good thoughts some of our other friends here also have the same good fortune.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Eric,

Congratulations! I got to fly in a P-51 as a passenger when I was 16. Wow, what a plane. One of the highlights of my life. Working on them should be quite the experience!

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:05
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Thanks for all the support guys! It's funny how these things work out, and it all happened because of a book that Mal had sent to my house to forward to him, "Packards at Speed". I took it to work a few weeks ago to look over while on lunch. At some point in the night this guy comes in that needed help, and happened to notice the book and picks it up. "I didn't know you were into Packards!" he says, and I relpy, "Of course!!" Then he goes on to show me some of the Packard Merlin's in there, and starts telling me ALL about them. I told him, "Man, you sure know alot about them", and he replies, "I should, my dad has been restoring them since before I was born!". So I decided to jokingly say "That's a dream job I'd LOVE to have!", to which he replies, "I'll ask my dad if we need any help!" And last night he told me to come out, they need some help, and I'm welcome to help! The one catch is, the engines are built here in Wichita, then taken down to Alva, Ok, for installation in the Mustangs. They go down there every time they do some work, and the preferred method is flying! So, even though this is probably a "part time" and "under the table" job, it's better than flipping burgers or running a cash register!

Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Let me add my best wishes for what sounds like terrific work. That book and it's companion, "Packards at Speed" are just wonderful volumes that every Packard lover should have, and how nice it made a connection for you. I'd bet money that Bob Neal's next book on the bathtub era Packards will be just as readable and enjoyable, and just as thoroughly researched.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That is good news Eric! Glad to hear you're employed again. With your skills you will be a big help in the rebuilding of those engines. Keep us posted!

Posted on: 2009/4/22 13:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
1943 Packard Merlin horsepower: 1,490.
1952 Packard 327 horsepower: 150.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 14:39
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Eric,

FANTASTIC!

Great to hear of the "dream" job. Lucky the book ended up in your hands, how perfect. I'm glad to have played a part in this, although in a roundabout way.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 18:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved