Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

Rscott77x, BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 138 139 140 (141) 142 143 144 ... 147 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, those are huge and my 1965 Cadillac has a very similar one that is equally hard to remove. Do you think a ratcheting box wrench would have worked better or is its head too large?

Posted on: 3/8 1:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Use a 3/8 drive long "wobble" extension and a 5/8 socket.

Posted on: 3/8 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Thanks for the tip Ross. I’ve got a set on order that should be here soon. My plan is to put them in the bottom drawer of the tool box in hopes I’ll never need them. I say that somewhat in jest because I use U-joints and swivel sockets quite often and I’ll see if a wobble extension is the equivalent when the need arises.

dp

Posted on: 3/9 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the tip Ross. Always good to add more tools to the toolbox. The wobble extension will make my life much easier!

Just waiting on parts from Max Merritt now. New brushes and bushing will be replaced. Currently cleaning up and painting the housing.

Also polished the commutator and cleaned out the grooves and mica. They were completely filled with copper. Much better now.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/11 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Not to be too critical but those still look grooved in your "after" picture. Any reason why you didn't turn them nearly smooth?

Posted on: 3/12 2:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Not to be too critical but those still look grooved in your "after" picture. Any reason why you didn't turn them nearly smooth?

I polished the commutator again after clearing out the grooves. I don't have a lathe, so I'm just using fine sandpaper. That's not going to take down the ridges that have been worn into it by the brushes. If you're talking about the grooves with the mica, I'm pretty sure those grooves are supposed to be there. They were pretty obviously there before.

Posted on: 3/12 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The grooves definitely need to be between the segments otherwise it would be one big short. There is a tool professionals use for undercutting the mica separators to get them consistently just below the commutator surface and smooth roughness at the segment edges but for garage mechanics crocus cloth and a thin modified hacksaw blade is often used.

Posted on: 3/12 9:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

I polished the commutator again after clearing out the grooves. I don't have a lathe, so I'm just using fine sandpaper. That's not going to take down the ridges that have been worn into it by the brushes. If you're talking about the grooves with the mica, I'm pretty sure those grooves are supposed to be there. They were pretty obviously there before.

Yes, of course there are the grooves between the contacts. I meant the circumferential grooving/wear. What I do is just stick it in a drill chuck then use a sanding sponge, that tends to get it pretty darn good without the need for a lathe. Just a suggestion. 🙂

Posted on: 3/12 10:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

Yes, of course there are the grooves between the contacts. I meant the circumferential grooving/wear. What I do is just stick it in a drill chuck then use a sanding sponge, that tends to get it pretty darn good without the need for a lathe. Just a suggestion. 🙂

That's a good idea. I'm not sure my drill will open that much, but I'll try. Otherwise, I might know a guy with a lathe. I'll check with him and see.

Posted on: 3/12 11:38
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Adding to the fleet! Too be honest this car is probably only good for parts, but I can't turn down a car for $300. More information tomorrow after I get home and have a chance to really look it over.

Posted on: 3/24 20:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 138 139 140 (141) 142 143 144 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved