Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Manual Transmission Inconsistant Feel with Stickiness
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Greetings! I am about to purchase a 1950 Packard Eight 2301 Touring Sedan, with a three speed manual transmission but am concerned about a sticky feeling when shifting/downshifting: especially shifting into reverse. On first blush the linkage appears normal and somewhat lubricated. The car has not been driven much over the last four years. What action should I take to determine if this is a unique problem to this car or general in nature? Can I feel somewhat confident that other than linkage damage/misalignment that I can clean all involved parts and lubricate fully that this sticky feeling will likely be cleared? Are there springs and/or other hardware that may be damaged or missing I need to check? Thank you for the consideration of your experience. I greatly appreciate it and hopefully will soon be a car owning member among you. My intention is to work on this car together with my 10 year old grandson creating quality time together where many life's lessons present themselves and the opportunity to teach is natural. Thank you.

Posted on: 3/25 13:00
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Manual Transmission Inconsistant Feel with Stickiness
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Checked for slop where there are joints in any of the linkages. It is common for the holes to get wallowed out and then need bushes installed. Also, any tubes that move up and down the column may need to be removed, cleaned, and lubed.

Posted on: 3/25 13:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
***TOPIC MOVED TO POST-WAR FORUM***

Posted on: 3/25 13:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to checking for wear at the ends of the long rods which is fairly common and can cause a sloppy feel, you might try placing a few drops of oil in the hole on the shift tube so it can run down inside. In addition, pace a few drops on the tube just above the levers which are below the hole more toward the bottom of the steering column. You might need to make clearance between the clip and washer above the lever so oil can get in to be able to run down and get behind the upper lever. Let it sit a bit or help it work in and then try the shifting again.

The levers need to be absolutely free and must independently rotate on the tube but the upper lever has no provsion for any lube yet gets any moisture that might condense on the tube and run down to start a rust and corrosion issue between the lever and tube. The rust causes the upper lever to stick and want to turn even though the lower lever might be the one selected for the gear you are trying for. Both levers moving at the same time causes lockout and sticking issues.

Attach file:

jpg  shift tube lube copy 2.jpg (95.01 KB)
209_6601c3011aa3d.jpg 500X634 px

Posted on: 3/25 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Frogmagic,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your'50 Eight Touring Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 3/25 19:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thank you very much!

Posted on: 3/25 21:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thank you! I will look on the post war section.

Posted on: 3/25 21:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thank you HH56 for your reply, information and the annotated photograph

Posted on: 3/25 21:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thanks HH56! I appreciate the reply, the information and the annotated photo. I will keep you posted on how I do. all the Best!

Posted on: 3/25 21:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Your advice was right on the money. No more sticky shifting. Thank you very much! I now better understand the shifting system and inspected every connection, washer and cotter pin. While the lubricating was key, the main constraint was that dried grease and road grime built up between the two. This was eradicated by scraping and degreasing. I will keep an eye on this area going forward...and reverse too! Haha! Thanks again!

Posted on: 3/26 16:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved