Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 140 141 142 (143) 144 145 146 147 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Is only the solid piece at the top of the antenna bent? Or the tubing also?

I could use a manual antenna for my 55. I would need all non-standard mounting hardware and the little boot included.

The top is bent, and the rest is a bit bent too. I think I can unbend them. On second look I don't think this is a power antenna after all. I may still end up using it for my car....not sure yet. I won't be using the radio but I don't like how my mast is missing.

Actually, wait... I think it is a power antenna. Motor mounted way lower than the 55 style, IDK if it's even compatible then...

It's different than the one on my '54. The '54 has a large loop for the nylon line. No loop that I saw on the '53. I'll check it again tomorrow and see if I can get more info.

On a different note, I had another package come in from Max Merritt. This time with some weatherstripping for the doors. There was almost nothing left of the original stuff, and what was there I removed when I painted the door jambs.

Never done weatherstrip before but I think it went okay.
Click to see original Image in a new window

As expected, the doors were very hard to close. And both doors are sticking out now, whereas before the door gaps were pretty close to perfect. I assume this will correct itself over the next couple of days?

Posted on: 3/25 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good job! I doubt that the gap will change on its own as the latch is now pressing against the striker where it should be so some adjustment might be in order to get it flush again.

Posted on: 3/26 0:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Steele Rubber seals are firmer than the originals, so they take a little bit to squish down. You have to slam the door for a few months. Some the heat of summer hits, it will tame them quickly.

Posted on: 3/26 6:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
There is a small piece of metal I made mine from stainless that fits into the cavity it's attached with screw to hold in addition to cement

Attach file:

jpg  1000000951.jpg (2,095.39 KB)
252_6602e3b720215.jpg 3072X4096 px

Posted on: 3/26 10:03
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don and Kev. I'll give it some time and see how they compress.

Does anyone have good pictures of how this upper piece is supposed to sit? I know there is a metal piece that should be there, and I'll have to fabricate it. But I'm not understanding how the rubber is supposed to sit with the door handle mechanism in the way.

Posted on: 3/26 10:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Make sure your clip is fully seated. It seems to me that it's sticking out a bit.

Posted on: 3/26 10:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Acolds - it looks like you posted while I was typing. Thanks for the picture, that's exactly what I needed. Yours is sitting nice and tight inside the door edge. I can't get either side to do that. The door handle hardware is in the way. Is your rubber trimmed to allow the hardware to stick through?

Kev - I didn't realize that clip was supposed to be pushed in all the way. I'll see if I can do that. The driver's side does not have the clip seen on the passenger side, but there are still two prongs sticking out that prevents full seating.

-Kevin

Posted on: 3/26 10:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It could also be possible that someone in the past used the incorrect clips, left to Right, etc., or modified a rear door clip. They are all different. For example, the Sedan uses four different clips. I can't remember if it's the front or the back, but one clip is longer because of the distance from the handle to the door edge.

Posted on: 3/26 10:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The rear clips are longer.

Here is the front right clip:

And the right rear clip:

Notice the rear one is longer at the back portion. So perhaps someone used a rear on your front doors? Just spitballing here.

You might be able to tell the difference because the rear looks like it has a smaller tang piece on the end. Well, at least on these reproduction ones, it does.

It is kind of a pain, but if you take off inside window garnish molding and roll the window down all the way, you can see the back of the door handle and the clip. Just to verify, it is fully seated with the "knobs" on the back of the handle in the middle of those retainer barbs.

If the end of those clips breaks off, which is common when trying to remove clips that are rusty, rolling down the window and removing the molding is the old way to access those clips so you can drive the out with a long flat screw driver.

Posted on: 3/26 10:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kevin for including your '53 Clipper Deluxe Club Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 3/27 20:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved