Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 82

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Visors look great! I'm glad that insulation worked out for you. I'm considering removing the bubble insulation and putting in what you used instead. I think it'll have a nicer feel and will certainly not be noisy.

Posted on: 4/8 15:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Kevin,
My interior is not as awesome as yours, but it is nice at least when things are not ripped, torn, frayed etc. I'm going for the preservation look.
The "under carpet light" seems to be an oem type material. I like it.
In other news...
When I had my shift linkage apart, I noticed a wavy washer Was missing at one joint. I was able to find these DIN german standard washers that work even if they are not exactly the right outside diameter. Shifting is much tighter now.
I don't think moving the vent bolt to the passenger side has stopped my transmission oil leak, I'll have to keep looking. It does seem to be from the drivers side. I guess that is where the OD parts are...

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20240324_140724_Chrome.jpg (251.38 KB)
657_6616f4c7aecad.jpg 1844X1043 px

jpg  20240328_221051.jpg (476.92 KB)
657_6616f4d778507.jpg 1390X1112 px

Posted on: 4/10 15:25
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Put the clipper in storage for a month, and brought the caribbean home. After one start, the starter would only click on the Caribbean. I am putting in a spare starter and would like to know, are there supposed to be any washers under the Heads of the two bolts that hold the starter to the bellhousing? My car has none, but not sure if there should be any lock or normal washers.
I think the one starter is from a 54. I cleaned all the contacts and bench tested it. Hope it works and I can rebuild the one I have removed.

Attach file:

jpg  20240504_172913.jpg (4,349.92 KB)
657_66367438e4079.jpg 4000X3000 px

jpg  20240504_162132.jpg (3,710.23 KB)
657_663674493b7e5.jpg 4000X3000 px

Posted on: 5/4 12:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, I belive flat washer and lock washer.

Posted on: 5/4 12:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
There were no washers on mine at all. Just the bolts. And I don't know that the stater has ever been off before.

New brushes are likely needed. And clean things up a bit. Make sure the battery cables are clean and connections tight. I still had a single click after I rebuilt my starter. Turns out the ground strap at the battery needed to be really tight on the terminal. It was a snug fit but would still be able to wiggle it off with effort. I was taking it off when not in use so as to not drain the battery. Turns out I really had to make it tight fit the connection to be good enough. No problems since then.

Kevin

Posted on: 5/4 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the heads of the bolts are slotted, they are self locking and no washer is required. If otherwise, they get a standard lock washer.

Posted on: 5/4 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
If the heads of the bolts are slotted, they are self locking and no washer is required. If otherwise, they get a standard lock washer.

That makes sense. Mine are slotted.

Posted on: 5/4 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The parts book available on this site should give the answer without guesses or conjecture. Give it a try and refer to Group 50 to see illustrations.

Posted on: 5/4 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks guys, my bolts are slotted, so I will inistall without any washers. I did look in my parts book, and the only plate of the starter does not show anything about the bolts that attach it to the bellhousing.
Next question, there is a hook attached to the starter that holds the Overdrive lock out cable. Is that supposed to be there?

Posted on: 5/5 4:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Rats, no luck today with my used starter. I got everything installed, cleaned all contacts etc, and when I tried to start the car with the gas pedal, I got "nichts" nada. (I could see a small drop in voltage on my gauge, but not a big drop)
I then tried using a screwdriver to bridge from the hot side of the starter to the small terminal on the solenoid. That turned the starter....
Also when I bench tested this starter, I hooked battery cables up to the starter and the battery terminal on the starter and tried using a section of wire to trigger the solenoid. That didn't work, but using a screwdriver did trigger the solenoid and the starter turned nicely....I guess this solenoid is sticky and needs too much current to get things going. Didn't somebody recently rebuild one of these 1954 solenoids?

Posted on: 5/6 15:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved