Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
What is the CFM of your compressor?

Posted on: 2009/6/6 23:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
just a small roll around hobby type

Posted on: 2009/6/7 16:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I received a PM about if I was still working on my Clipper. The answer is yes. But with summer time temps regularly hovering above 100 degrees in the garage, that keeps me out of there. Remember things burst into flame here in So. Calif!

As soon as cooler weather starts to roll back in, then I will be back out in the garage. I have also been stock piling parts, tools and supplies that I will need for the next couple of phases. So these idle months have not gone to waste.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 22:54
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gowritch
See User information
Good tools are hard to find.....and I find em in some pretty strange places. I was looking at the pictures of the rivet setting punch and the little light bulb clicked on. Walked down to the basement and pulled out my leather working kit. Small grommets for leather work use the same type of tool to fold over the back of the grommet. They usually come with a small die, flat on one side and dished on the other. Should work nicely and they come in a variety of sizes. The best part is I have three different sizes and bought them all at Jo-Ann Fabrics for a couple of bucks. Who woulda thought you could find Packard tools at the local sewing store?

Ritch,
Rescuer of an orphaned
54 Patrician

Posted on: 2009/10/29 11:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Never thought of looking there! Funny thing about that is that Jo-Ann Fabrics in my town is located right next door to Harbor Freight where I usually go looking for my odd-ball tools.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 12:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
gowritch wrote:.....Rescuer of an orphaned 54 Patrician

G'day Ritch,
to you and your '54 Pat to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 16:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well finally I managed to get back in the garage on this rainy night.

So I decided to take a look at the 55/56 Antenna that I got from Dan Yocum's place hoping to it would work for the '54 since I went 12 volt. The had removed the broken manual antenna from my fender when I started the body work.

So I hooked the antenna up to 12 volt battery I had and all it did was hum. I tried it on both wires keeping the case grounded. Hmm not good. So it was take it apart time. So first was figuring out how it came apart without breaking the plastic/fiberglass shaft. I finally figured out that you remove the screws in the top portion of the motor housing, and remove the tensioner screw, the top housing and shaft comes loose as one piece. Then you can just pull the entire fiberglass shaft out thought the motor housing. Then you have the gear assembly section in the middle portion. Remove the bottom motor housing screws and the lower motor portion comes loose from the middle gear portion.

So now with the just motor portion in hand I tested it again. Same hum. So removed the grounding screw wire, and loosen the large bolt in the bottom of the motor housing and the motor itself came free of the housing. Basically the motor had shifted in the housing and the motor spindle was grounding to the metal surround. So I took it all apart, re-centered the bushing in the bottom of the motor assembly and the top bushing in the gear portion. The bushings swivel in their seats and were almost frozen cockeyed. So I used a small dab of bearing grease to work them free so now they float and move like they are supposed to. I also cleaned up all the motor shaft and polished up the area where the brushes ride. The motor and gear sections were then reassembled and retested it. Success! So all I had to do was rethread the fiberglass shaft back through the motor housing and tighten everything down. I then gently held the entire thing in a vice and tested it. I played around with the tensioner to get it where the it didn't sound like it was slipping, and the didn't sound like the motor was loading to much.

After getting it all working I went to try to position it on the fender. I knew I was going to have to find the correct angled rubber grommet. But the problem I ran into was the diameter on this antenna is much bigger that the hole in my fender. So the question of the day is the 55/56 front antenna have a larger fender shaft then the '54s? or is this a rear antenna? Can I just make the fender hole bigger? Or will I not be able to find the correct rubber grommet I need? If this wont work, then I may just end up selling it as it now works.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.19 KB)
1_4b1dc108289bc.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (27.43 KB)
1_4b1dc11da5518.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (39.26 KB)
1_4b1dc129ed4e9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.42 KB)
1_4b1dc13c1c0e6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.14 KB)
1_4b1dc14b50af3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.91 KB)
1_4b1dc15d0e188.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.44 KB)
1_4b1dc178df60e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.00 KB)
1_4b1dc1aa9bf90.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (32.46 KB)
1_4b1dc1b641ac5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.22 KB)
1_4b1dc1bfcdb7e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.13 KB)
1_4b1dc1cfc9a39.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:02
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No fear, the power antennas always had a bigger hole than the manual antennas. You can just enlarge your existing hole and the grommet and phenolic adapter from ANY 51-56 power antenna will work fine. PM me if you need a template for grinding out the hole or need the correct antenna switch.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ross,

Thanks for the info. I was happy to get the antenna working then had that Doh! moment when the I realized it didn't fit. So I am glad to hear I just need to enlarge the hole.

Yes, I will need a antenna switch with the '54 style knob. Also I need a lead on the phenolic adapter.

I am kicking myself now, as last time I was up at Dan's place I should have looked to see if he had a switch in the parts shed. I knew he used to have boxes of knobs and switches. I will have to find out if the rest of his parts got sold. I know a vendor was looking at buying everything that was still out there, but I don't know if that happened or not yet.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:25
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a quick video (22 secs) of me testing the Antenna.

<iframe><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFNsN5FLJLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFNsN5FLJLg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object></Iframe>

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved