Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Henry Ford & Packard (trivia)...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
If Henry Ford died in 1947, how did he congratulate Packard on their 50th in 1949?

The Ford Motor Company, obviously not the old man himself, issued the letter. Have you not seen a copy of it? It's been reproduced in a number of publications and I could probably find a copy if you're interested.

No, I have never seen it. It would be interesting to see.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Midan

The ad was run 1n 1939 on Packard's 40th anniversary, not 1949. It was run in the Packard Cormorant many years ago. It is one of the most gracious things I've ever read. Henry and Edsel obviously had a profound respect for Packard. :You will remember that when Henry Ford went on his "camping" trips with Edison , Firestone and Burroughs in the teens and twenties he used a Twin Six fitted out as a camper.

The legend in Packard circles in Detroit that there were frantic phone calls the night of Henry's death to find a Packard hearse. There is a famous picture printed on the cover of the CCCA Bulletin printed 2 or 3 years back of the Packard hearse, followed by Eleanor Ford's Lincoln in front of the GM administration building during the funeral procession.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oops...my bad, 40th anniversary and not 50th, John Harley again proves that his memory is better than mine. That's as it should be, he's a lot younger and has less to remember

In any case I'll dig out a copy of the letter and post it here.

EDIT - Here's a somewhat stylized version of the letter from Ford to Packard, text as in the original. Thanks to PAC for the image.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.33 KB)
177_4b8f36e750b0e.jpg 672X1024 px

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chrysler Corporation, General Motors, and Ford Motor Company all had congratulatory letters in the special edition of Automotive News commemorating Packard's 40th anniversary. This publication is on this site for anyone interested in reading these letters, plus many, many more from suppliers and associated businesses.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Checking my Lincoln texts, there were Lincoln commercial chassis available during most all the Model L, K, KA & KB years. Wheelbases ran from 150-160". The numbers produced were miniscule.

The Lincoln Zephyr was unit body construction which didn't lend itself well to commercial body conversion, plus no long wheelbase Zephyr commercial chassis was offered.

One '41 Lincoln Custom, the 8 passenger/Limousine style body, was converted to an ambulance, still exist in restored condition.

The Fords and the Macauleys had a friendly social relationship over the years, I recall reading. As has been noted, a Cadillac would not have been considered as appropriate transport as Henry Ford's last ride. There were Ford hearses built over the years, wonder why one wasn't rounded up?

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/3 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
I remember everything Owen tells me..., even when he doesn't

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/3/3 23:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi

Checking my Lincoln texts, there were Lincoln commercial chassis available during most all the Model L, K, KA & KB years. Wheelbases ran from 150-160". The numbers produced were miniscule.

The Lincoln Zephyr was unit body construction which didn't lend itself well to commercial body conversion, plus no long wheelbase Zephyr commercial chassis was offered.

One '41 Lincoln Custom, the 8 passenger/Limousine style body, was converted to an ambulance, still exist in restored condition.

The Fords and the Macauleys had a friendly social relationship over the years, I recall reading. As has been noted, a Cadillac would not have been considered as appropriate transport as Henry Ford's last ride. There were Ford hearses built over the years, wonder why one wasn't rounded up?

Steve

Had to look that up. My book only goes back to 1930. It does show "chassis" from 1930-37, but it does not say "commercial chassis". So possibly that could have been used for limos or custom bodies that were not hearses or ambulances. In any case less than 50 were produced most years, so no major coachbuilder would have tooled up for that. And the last one was in 1937, 10 years old by the time Henry died. A funeral home in a major city, such as Detroit, would have been anxious to dump a 1930-37 hearse after WWII. They used the hearses longer in rural areas where they got less use and would have much less competition. But this would not be the case in Detroit. So it is highly unlikely a Lincoln could have been located on short notice if there weren't many to begin with, and the funeral homes got rid of them after WWII. Same deal with a Ford. I do believe the Ford family did find one Lincoln hearse somewhere, but it needed a full restoration, so obviously it couldn't be used. I think they might have bought, restored, and used it for other Ford family members later though, but not sure on that.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 0:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Perhaps because of Ford's relationship with Leland, he did not wish to ride in a Lincoln, either. Just conjecture. Lincoln was more of Edsel Ford's baby than Henry's, and Henry did not have a sparkling relationship with Edsel, either.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 10:18
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall seeing a "Mystery Photo" in an issue of the CCCA Bulletin several years ago showing a funeral procession. It was identified as the one for Henry Ford. Maybe someone with a library of this publication (O_D?) could share the photo with us. It also showed a Lincoln sedan which was the family car.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/4 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Actually, the Henry Ford/Packard Hearse story has been covered here before. There's a small, kinda hard to see picture of the hearse parked in front of the church here.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 11:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved