Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel pump rebuilding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi BigKev, I am asking for clarification on your pictorial on "Fuel Pump Rebuilding". You mention "dressing the diaphragms" with PB Blaster......What is the purpose of dressing them? What do you do, just spray on a rag and wipe them down?? I took my pump apart and found, though basically the same as your pump it has a very frustrating way of linking the end of the pump arm to the two rods of the gas and vacuum diaphragms. There are slots in the end of the diaphragm rods which must engage two separate hooks on the end of the pump operating rod and I'm at the point of putting all the parts in a box and having it rebuilt... Do you or any one else have some tips. Pump is for a '51 Packard 200. The reassembly of the pump is an open question
for anyone to answer.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 14:32
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel pump rebuilding
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just sprayed some PB on a clean rag, and then wipe the diaphragms with it. Just enough to cover them, but not be wet.

Did you remove the pump arm pivot rod? The pump arm on my pump is like a two-prong fork. So once the fuel and vacuum sections are together, the the pump arm is inserted so the two prongs engage around the shaft in the opening. Then the pump arm pivot rod is put back in and the retainer plug added.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.57 KB)
1_4ba79f4159520.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (101.03 KB)
1_4ba79f698e56d.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (93.37 KB)
1_4ba79f80dc271.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/3/22 11:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I was wondering where to get a rebuild kit for a 52 packard 300. Any info would be helpful. New to the whole working on them. I don't have all the connections yet so any help would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many have purchased kits or had rebuilds or other services done here and have been happy with the product or service.http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm and the specific page for fuel pumps ishttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm

Posted on: 2010/4/1 9:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
Thanks for the info. I just started working on my grandpa's car and it has a leak on the fuel side of the pump. I was just wanting to get a lead on parts before I start taking it apart.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 9:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I just received and installed a kit for my '47. I will recommend Then and Now also. Fast service, excellent technical assistance and instructions. Great people to deal with IMO.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I rebuilt the pump for my 48. The fork parts were a little tricky to line up but didn't take long. Unfortunately, the kit I got was too old and the gas ate it about 100 miles later. So, I sent it to Then & Now and let them do it. It's been almost a year and no problems with it.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 15:29
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
hoenshellg wrote: I was wondering where to get a rebuild kit for a 52 packard 300. Any info would be helpful. New to the whole working on them. I don't have all the connections yet so any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
hoenshellg wrote:....I just started working on my grandpa's car......
G'day hoenshellg,
to PackardInfo, and I see you're already getting advice from the friendly, experienced and knowledgeable Packard people here.

And a request of you, know it's your grandpa's '52 300 but if its OK with him, could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how he acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/4/1 16:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would never use an old, or NOS kit with todays fuels. You really need fresh stock that is compatible with todays fuels. Same goes with Carb kits.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 16:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I will certainly try to register. Im not too good with technology. I was doing good to join the site. I will try and get some help asap to get this information on here.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 12:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved