Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

Packard Don, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 Clipper convertible?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone taken note of the article on the 1942 120 convertible in the May 2010 Hemmings being called a CLIPPER, and stating that that body was the only 1942 style exempted from Clipper styling?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 9:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 Clipper convertible?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Chuckle... Been taking HMN since I was a teen (which, along with the renewal fees will get you a renewal and a hat or T-shirt at Hershey that includes a hat or a T-shirt...)

On one hand the change to include magazine type content a few years ago was kind of nice, but the staff there really does not seem to have a command of the older stuff, and I really don't care about a lot of what they do cover, so if given my druthers I would rather have them cut that out, and drop the subscription back a bit but I doubt that will happen. I don't expect them to be really knowledgeable about the older stuff, most of the editorial staff is not into it.

I do get annoyed, however when they make material mistakes in identification or description of cars they cover at auction. I take those reviews with a grain of salt but some may consider it gospel... The reports are best used as entertainment only unless you accept these opinions as expert - I guess I don't.

But the best bathroom reader ever put to print!!

Posted on: 2010/4/8 17:53
Steve Mackinnon
1939 Packard 120 Sedan (sold)
1940 Packard 110 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregg Shelton
See User information
I noticed it (having a 1941 120 I tend to keep an eye out for anything "Packard") and was very curious about the author pointing out the 120 script on the below the hood.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 22:46
Forty one is the one! Packard 120 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless so as to preserve his self-esteem, had a 1942 160 convertible with sidemounts. It was a good driver, but needed a new leather interior, a new top, and a good paint job. Within a year or two of him selling it, it was given "Classic" status and the price increased ten-fold. He was sorry he sold it and I felt even worse because I didn't have the $3500.00 he sold it for. It did not have Clipper styling. I will ask if he still has a picture of that car.

Posted on: 2010/4/17 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The author was certainly contradicting himself, calling it a Clipper then stating it was exempt from Clipper styling. Of course, what he meant was that the convertible coupe body was the only style exempt from Clipper styling.

Posted on: 2010/4/17 9:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
The author was certainly contradicting himself, calling it a Clipper then stating it was exempt from Clipper styling. Of course, what he meant was that the convertible coupe body was the only style exempt from Clipper styling.

For the 1942 model year (20th Series) Packard also offered the Super Eight 160 and Custom Super Eight 180 Sedan and Limousine body styles based on the Clipper superseded body styling along with the above mentioned Convertible Coupe.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/17 15:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Yes, but only the convertible was exempt from Clipper styling.

Posted on: 2010/4/17 17:31
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 1942 convertible was not the only model exempt from Clipper styling. The 160 and 180 7 passenger sedan, formal sedan, 160 and 180 limousines were all old-style (non-Clipper) 1941 bodies with very minor grill changes.

Am I missing something here?

Posted on: 2010/4/17 18:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RB writes:
"Within a year or two of him selling it, it was given "Classic" status and the price increased ten-fold."

Well of course that would happen. Probably because the person he sold it to was the same person in charge of making such status decisions or thusly associated?????

Posted on: 2010/4/17 20:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
The 1942 convertible was not the only model exempt from Clipper styling. The 160 and 180 7 passenger sedan, formal sedan, 160 and 180 limousines were all old-style (non-Clipper) 1941 bodies with very minor grill changes.

Am I missing something here?

No. I am. For some reason I was thinking there was a Clipper 7-passenger sedan and limousine, but now I realize they didn't do that until after the war. My mistake.

Posted on: 2010/4/17 22:17
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved