Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

29- 640 Club Sedan, dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

733 brakes locking on
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Big Ed
See User information
I'm restoring a 1930 733 Packard seven pass. sedan. The chassis is now completed to the point that I have test driven it approx. 50 miles.(NO body on it yet)
THE PROBLEM is when I turn hard to the left, the left front brake comes on, and if I turn hard to the right, the right front brake comes on. I have jacked the front of the car up, removed the tires,and disconnected the front brake cables, to see what's going on. As I turn to the right or left the control lever moves also, wanting to apply the brake to that drum.I've taken the complete Perrot Control apart and it's very free in movement. If I put it all back together again it still does the same thing .If I disconnect the arm from the frame socket, hold it in my hand and turn the wheel, it seems to be okay. As soon as I connect the arm back on the frame socket, it wants to move the control lever again,as the wheel turns. The control shaft seems to be sitting slightly up hill(not level) as there's no body weight on the chassis yet. Could this be the problem?? I would think that the control lever should not turn as the wheels cornor, in any case. Any help would be appreciated. ED

Posted on: 2010/6/11 19:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 733 brakes locking on
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ed, sorry I can't help with the Perrot system, my Packard has the later Bendix cable system. But I believe there is a copy of the Bendix-Perrot recommended brake adjustment manual on this site. Check under Packard Literature and Manuals and I believe you'll find it and if you're not familiar with it, perhaps it will help.

Keep us posted, please.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 20:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Big Ed wrote: I'm restoring a 1930 733 Packard seven pass. sedan......ED
G'day Ed,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your query.

A request of you though, could you please include your '30 733 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/11 20:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Big Ed
See User information
Thanks Owen, I did get the news letter on-line re, Bendix Perrot brakes on the Packard car, but it did not suggest angthing about the brakes coming on when you take a cornor ? Still looking for help Ed ( e-mail) dloyens@295.ca

Posted on: 2010/6/12 14:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sound like they is not enough slack in the cables to allow the front wheels to pivot without binding.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 15:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, the geometry should be such that the brake links and cables retain the same position regardless of wheel position. That's why I suspect a full adjustment is required.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Big Ed
See User information
Thanks Owen Yes I got the news letter re. Bendix- Parrot Brakes but no ref. to why brakes want to apply when turning a cornor? still looking for help Ed

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Big Ed
See User information
Thanks Big Kev, I have the front cables disconnected, and the control lever still wants to move as I turn the wheel.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Big Ed
See User information
Yes Owen ,your probably right but I can't figure out how that would effect the cam to move when you take a cornor, are the brake shoes not always riding against the cam by way of the return brake spring? Ed

Posted on: 2010/6/12 16:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Big Ed,

A few comments:

Check the Perrot units for wear. This unit is a small universal joint. If the pin and coupling inside has excessive wear the two ends of the joint inside the dome shell on the top of the front wheel backing plates will not be on the same axis or center-line.

The more wear you have in this unit the greater the two shaft ends inside will be out of alignment. The more these two shaft get out of alignment the rotation of the end operating the brakes will increase as the wheel is turned, assuming the end the brake cable is attached to is fixed.

You can easily check the play by disconnecting the brake cable and pulling the front drum. Hold the cam that operates the brakes securely and try and rotate the end the brake cable is attached to back and forth.

The working parts of the Perrot unit consists of three shafts and a pin. One shaft goes to he brake cable, one goes to the cam that operates the primary and auxiliary shoe, and the third shaft is the rotating coupling or universal joint. The three shafts are connected by a pin.

These parts were made to fit together closely. I've taken original units apart from cars with 70K miles on them and there has been about .005-.010 play in the whole unit. As long as there has been grease in the unit they seem to stand up well (once again, we can thank the Packard Engineering Department).

Because these Perrot units are not CV (constant velocity) universal joints even in perfect condition there will be some rotation of the joint as the wheel is turned.

I've adjusted the brakes of cars using the Perrot system, and if I had they were adjusted a little tight, the brakes would lock just as you described, even with the Perrot units in good condition.

You may want to try backing of the brake cable adjustment nut to give you a little more play in the front brake system.

Your experiment of disconnecting the cable and looking for rotation of the shaft as the wheel was turned is a good clue. One suggestion, apply some force on the brake shaft to take up any play that may be in the Perrot unit and turn the wheel side to side and see if you can see the brake shaft move. Take up the play in both directions when you turn the front wheel side to side.

If there is play in the Perrot unit you may not see it with the brake cable removed, because as you rotate the wheel side to side with out any pre-load in the system the movement of the Perrot unit could get lost in the play that is in the three shafts and pin (if any).

These brakes can be a "bear" to adjust properly, but when they are, they work great. A thorough, major brake adjustment can take 4-6 hours. I've found the best method is to remove all the brake cables, loosen up the two anchor pin nuts slightly, put a good load on the operating lever and then sock down the anchor pins. Make sure the eccentric adjustment is backed off before you do this. This method centers the shoes in the drum and then allows you to adjust the eccentric to bring the primary and secondary show up to the drum.

I've made up a mechanical foot using some 1/2" threaded rod, a nut, and a few 2 x 4's. When you have all 4 wheels centered they you have to adjust the brake cables at each wheel to get them to operate uniformly. Having a tool you can put against the front seat and adjust to press the brake pedal down and hold it there in one spot will make the 4-wheel adjustment much easier. Just try asking your wife / girlfriend / significant other to keep their foot on the brake with 80 pounds force for a hour, it just doesn't work.

One key point to getting good operating brakes in the position of the brake lever on the brake shaft. With the brakes applied fully you always want to be 5 to 10 degrees before full vertical position to a vertical position. This way you have the greatest amount of leverage applied to the brake shaft.

Good luck,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/6/12 17:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved