Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

Mike Chirco, Dean Prevolos, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1940 180 Econo-drive
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am looking at a very nice driver 1807. It doesn't come with Econo-drive - just the three speed transmission. My questions to you learned folks:

(1) Are Econo-drives easily available?
(2) Can they be installed with relative ease?
(3) Are they worthwhile for a driver?

Thanks.

Martin K. O'Toole

Posted on: 2010/6/30 21:33
1940 Model 1807 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 180 Econo-drive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hello Martin,

Welcome to the forum. Allow me to offer my opinion on your questions.

(1) Are Econo-drives easily available?
Yes / No - The OD tranny itself will be fairly easy to find, the other detail items will be much tougher. It all depends on how you want it to function. Like factory = lots of parts. Bare bones = An actuating cable and a toggle switch.

(2) Can they be installed with relative ease?
Yes / No - It is a tighter fit than the non-OD tranny. The tough part is installing everything associated including switchs, relays, and wiring. Also need to shorten the driveshaft. A job requiring moderate mechanical skill and intermediate electrical skill.

(3) Are they worthwhile for a driver?
YES! In my personal application the car goes from being wound up tight at 45 / 50 mph to confidently cruising at 60 / 65 which only makes all the difference in the real world. You also have the option of installing a high speed gear set. A good friend has low 3's in his 40 180 and it is just magnificent on the highway.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/30 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Martin OToole wrote:.....I am looking at a very nice driver 1807.....
G'day Martin,
to PackardInfo.

In response to your questions:

(1) Are Econo-drives easily available? - You'd need a complete system and these are probably hard to come by. Accumulating all the parts would be feasible but probably a long slow and expensive process.
(2) Can they be installed with relative ease? - Would involve some modifications to the chassis for the greater length of the trans/OD unit and clearance for solenoid and governor as well as shortening tail shaft.
(3) Are they worthwhile for a driver? - Very much so with the major advantage being improved economy.

Saying all that, there are much more learned and experienced Packard people here who should be able to provide more detailed answers than mine.

And don't forget, WHEN you acquire the '40 1807 please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/30 22:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not disagreeing with Jim's comments, just let me add that a 1941 senior w/o overdrive would probably have a 3.92 rear axle ratio which will permit comfortable cruising at 60 mph or so. Not quite sure what axle ratio of 1940 senior w/o OD would have but the 356 engine is shorter stroke than a 39 Super and would be more comfortable at higher speeds. Even my 34 Eight with a 4.69 rear (and 17 inch tires) is comfortable at 45-50 (but not much more). Also remember that the OD-equipped cars usually had a different rear axle ratio than those w/o it; you don't necessarily have to change the ring & pinion, but the vehicle will have better driving flexibility if you do.

I think a lot depends on what your intended uses are for the car and what kind of highways it will be driven on.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 22:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Lots to think about in the responses. I have closed the deal on the car and expect it to be trucked to me something late this month. Once I have it in hand, I'll post it in the registry.

As far as driving goes, I did want to be able to do reasonable speeds when on the interstate. About 30 years ago I used to drive a 1949 Eight at reasonable interstate speeds as well as a 1941 Buick and 1950 Buick. Reasonable in my (alleged) mind being in the 60s or so.

I'll have more questions beyond a doubt. Thanks.

MKOT

Posted on: 2010/7/1 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Martin,

glad to hear you obtained the car. Regardless of what you may or may do transmission wise I think you will find the car to be very enjoyable.

May I ask what body style?

One other suggestion - I would strongly suggest getting a copy of PACKARD 1940 a pivotal year by Jim Hollingsworth. This is a magnificant publication that will answer many questions and is a highly enjoyable read.

Congratulations!
Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/1 13:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Martin OToole
See User information
Jim:

It is an 1807 five-passenger four-door touring sedan.

I'd like the book. Where can I get a copy?

Posted on: 2010/7/1 22:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Martin, I will PM you the information.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/1 23:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Topic moved to Pre-War forum.

Posted on: 2010/7/2 9:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Martin,
for including your '40 One-Eighty Super Eight Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looks Good!

Posted on: 2010/7/19 20:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved