Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 207

DavidM, kevinpackard, Duane Gunn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: water pump rebuilding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That illustraton is more than just the pump, it also includes the water distribution manifold which is not included nor required when replacing the pump. Note the disclaimer above the illustration. The pump itself is just the center section with impellor, bearings, seal, shaft and fan flange.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All the more reason I like Merritt's website and others like his rather than Kanter's generic one fits all approach. Max's website, ebay stores of packards1 and others usually have a decent picture of what you are buying. Also, not knowing the specifics of either pump in this case as to rebuilt or new, a better price it would appear.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.49 KB)
209_4ca3470b32b95.jpg 1049X188 px

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Sorry, my apologies, but I'm easily confused, so help me understand where we are. Here on the Packard V8 forum is an illustration of a Buick pump/manifold and info on an offshore pump body casting for the Packard I8. Again, for clarification:

1. Has anyone actually seen a new one-piece pump/manifold for the Packard V8?
2. Has anyone actually seen a new offshore pump body casting for the Packard V8?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe Kanters website defaults to the Buick listing so that is why it says Buick in the selection. If you select Packard, any year, it will change to that listing and price but the picture is the same. The generic one fits all picture approach could lead to confusion and possibly a disgruntled customer IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Replying to Jack:

1. No.
2. No.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you want to get to Kanter's "old" Packard website where it lists many things broken down by group numbers. Try this:

http://www.kanter.com/packard/

Not sure if the prices are current, but at least it should get you in the ballpark. For their "service parts", their printed Packard catalog is probably the best to have handy.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, Kev. Advise to others: either bookmark or remember to add the /packard/ after the Kanter URL.

That link does not readily appear easily found on their home page even if you select Packard--just the general catalog--and if you select home or want to look at something else while in the Packard catalog, you are directed out into the general again. A minor quibble but seems like something easily fixed if they wanted to.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
I'm quite sorry. I did not read the description. When I first found that pick it just listed as packard water pump under a yahoo shopping page.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
HI,Fred Kanter here.

I'm not much of an online person so this is my first time using this forum. What amazes me here is the amount of posts and confusion on a very simple subject. If there are any questions our catalog/website they both have email inquiry adresses prominently listed. JUst ask, we're here to answer.

The photo many of you have referred to as a Packard water pump without removable pump unit is in fact a 49-56 Cadillac which was originally built as a one piece unit. We manufacture that pump along with 30 others. It is far from a coincidence that they look so much the same. From my knowledge of the industry Packard copied Cadillac or Studebaker which had the two piece design and also looks identical.

We sell water pumps for ALL cars 1930's-1980's and it is impractical to show photos for the 1000+ different pumps.
We have sold over 50,000 pumps and never had a customer unhappy because the pump for his car doesn't look like the one in the listing. They are happy to get the right pump to fit their car, that's all that matters.

We sell new pumps 38-50, rebuilts for other years. We stock rebuilts for 51-56 and you do not need to put your car out of commission, we will send a rebuilt and you return your old pump for a core refund. Many rebuilders require you to send your pump in first.

Our V8's
55 Caribbean (2)
55 Patrician
56b Caribbean Conv (2)

Posted on: 2010/11/8 1:05
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fred,

Nice to have you on the website. Thanks for the information on the water-pumps you stock.

I know several folks would also be interested in knowing more about the disc brakes conversion kits that are now available and how they install.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 1:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved