Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

Ross, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Manual Transmission - 1950 Deluxe 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
I am trying to get my 1950 Deluxe 8 Packard mechanically sound before starting any restoration efforts. I hit a snag when I found the shifter was stuck in 1st(?) and would not allow me to shift into reverse (or 2nd and 3rd as well, apparently). When I disconnected the linkage to the rear lever coming out of the transmission (Low-Reverse?) I was able to move both the rear and front levers manually. Each lever seemed to have three positions and I found each lever had to be in the middle position before I could move the other lever. I had to move the rear lever to the forward position to reconnect the linkage to it and when I did so, locked up the shifter again.

Is anyone familiar with what is going on here and how to straighten it out?

Posted on: 2010/10/3 2:33
test
 Top  Print   

Re: Manual Transmission - 1950 Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Each fork on the transmission must have 3 positions; one is for 1st and reverse with neutral in the middle, the other for 2nd and 3rd with neutral in the center. Obviously you can only be in 1 gear at a time so one must be in the center position for you to move the other.

Put them both in the center position and then check the linkage lengths for proper fit without binding. Assuming nothing is bent and the bushings aren't badly worn, that may well solve your problem.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also there is a lube point some have had success with. Check out the first 3 posts herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=29855#forumpost29855

Posted on: 2010/10/3 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks for the post.

When looking at the lower end of the shifting column, is there supposed to be up and down movement of the shift levers when shifting? Also, how much separate movement should there be between the two levers at the bottom of the shifting column when shifting? I ask because I've noticed one lever doesn't move much without the other one moving with it and there is little or no up and down movement of the levers (either separately or together). I am wondering if that means the two shift levers are sticking together at the base of the shifting column from the accumulation of dirt, moisture, grease, and corrosion over the years. If they are sticking, what is the best way to free them up and lubricate them?

I attached a photo of the column and levers. Notice a zerk fitting a little below and left of center of the pack35.jpg photo. I plan to add some grease there, but don't see an obvious place to lube the lower end of the shifter column.

Attach file:

jpg  (231.95 KB)
3098_4ca8d539d5dd1.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (228.39 KB)
3098_4ca8d602677a1.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/10/3 14:12
test
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a service article which was written for an older model but still has most of the points apply.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL20NO5.pdf On my 47 about a 1/8" hole is in the tube about 1 inch above the highlighted piece at top of pict.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.71 KB)
209_4ca8dafa76ccd.jpg 500X199 px

Posted on: 2010/10/3 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks. Your help is much appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 20:15
test
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
As mentioned in another post I would use something other than wd40- 3-1 oil/kano makes a product.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 20:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Don,
to PackardInfo for including your '50 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Great family history there with the car and please include your current pic, it can be updated later.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 3:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you mean what I think you mean, the neutral position for the 2 shift levers is in the middle.The third rod appears to be a strut to keep the correct distance as the engine rocks. If the rod has 3 positions neutral will be in the middle, You can only select one position at a time. All the levers must be in neutral, then you can move one lever to a gear position. If you want a different gear, you must return that lever to the neutral position before you select another gear.

The transmission linkage will jam if you get 2 gears at the same time. This can happen due to worn linkage, out of adjustment, or abusive forcing of the shifter. But it's hard to jam if the mechanism is in good shape and properly adjusted.

Sometimes after much use the ends of the rods get worn down and the holes get worn oval making the linkage sloppy. In other cases there were rubber bushings that fell out. The joints need to be tight. Excess looseness will cause problems too.

You have to use your own judgment. Sometimes you need new bushings, in other cases parts need to be welded up to replace worn metal, or parts replaced. In other cases a simple adjustment is all that is required.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 9:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

boydlcoomer
See User information
The internet and internet search features are wonderful. I was having trouble with my '47, i.e. difficulty shifting into 2nd or 3rd. I did a search, found the tip about using oil in the little hole on the shift column and voila, problem disappeared. I feared a new clutch, etc but with less than a cent worth of 3 in 1 oil the problem was resolved. Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2017/8/9 13:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved