Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

1951 Patrician...in my Future??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Hi. New to the club. Been looking for a Packard for quite some time. I have looked at several. Today, I looked at a dark blue 1951 Patrician.Pretty rust free, last registered in 1993. 90 complete. Engine doesn't want to turn over. My concern is....all of the trim from the right rear door back is gone: ultramatic script, gravel guard, door and fender chrome is gone. Hard to find? Should I pass on this one? It's very reasonably priced. Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/10/24 22:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Patrician...in my Future??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the Packard world. The trim strips and assorted pieces should not be too hard to find--although the gravel shield in good condition might be more so, but they are available.

If the car is reasonably priced then another consideration is why the engine won't turn over--not enough battery or is it stuck or rusted and going to require a complete rebuild? That can get a bit costly. Also maybe find out why it was parked 15 yrs ago. Did the transmission go out. That is frequently why those years were parked--something happened to the Ultramatic and no one locally wanted or knew how to work on them. How is the interior? Patricians had a very good interior so that can also get costly.

Before you make a commitment, might be well to look at a few more and get a feeling as to what one in good shape will cost to buy vs one you have to spend on to make it drivable. I know there is a lot of enjoyment in buying and fixing but don't get overwhelmed. At any rate, one is surely out there with your name on it--maybe that one, maybe not-- but they are there.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The best money you will spend is to buy the best car you can afford. That is much cheaper than fixing a pig. Oftentimes for a mere thousand more than a pushmobile, you might get something you could drive home. Of course this theory is modified by the search for one particular model, or if one is looking for a project to do.

All that said, a 51 Patti is a very nice car, delightful to drive. If the rest of the car is nice, its no particular problem to get a usable engine. Be aware that very many Packard owners are getting to the age where they are letting cars, and especially project cars, go. I genuinely expect to see way more cars for sale in the next ten years than there will be folks to buy them. The selection is good now, and will only get better.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 11:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That is very true. Unless happen to own a paint and body shop, and your brother is an upholster, then buy the best car you can afford as it will be cheaper in the long run! Paint, bodywork, interior and chrome can cost way more than mechanicals on these cars.

Also it depends what you are in it for. Some people like the rebuilding process, and then get bored with the car when it's all done. Some people like the driving part, and don't want to get their hands dirty with the rebuilding side of it. Then there are those that like all aspects of it.

As far as the bits of trim you are missing. I don't think anything would be that challenging to find. There are still loads of part cars out there and 1951 was a high volume production year for Packard.

I still think 51-54 Packards are a great under rated value compared to similar vehicles. Mechanical parts are easy to come by, and there are lots of interchangeable parts between the 51-54 model years. Also most of the standard maintenance parts can be purchased over the count at Napa.

Just my

Posted on: 2010/10/25 12:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Thanks for the info. I have been a Packard lover since I was a boy. Now I'm nearly 50 and have had well over 100 cars in all states of repair, mostly Chrysler Products. So far I've looked at 52 300, a 47 Clipper, a 54 Clipper, a 55 400 and now this Patrician. It's better than all of the others body and chrome wise. Interior is all there, but tired. I appreciate the caveats about why it won't turn or why it was parked. I know the Ultramatic can be an issue and a major expense. The eight cylinder engine is expensive to overhaul as well, but probably no more expensive than the Hemi in my 51 Imperial. I suspect the owner doesn't know as he bought it at an auction "so it wouldn't get crushed". The car is in very restorable condition. He seems easy to work with, and may let me pull the plugs and put a little marvel oil or PB blaster down the cylinders. I tried to turn it by hand - no movement. These engines didn't have an enormous amount of compression, so it should be easy to turn. On the plus side, the air cleaner has been on it, it's been stored in a enclosure. I am the most optimistic of this car, but afraid of the chrome pieces. I know how hard it can be to try and put together a fairly low production car - 9001 I believe. My Imperial club coupe has only 1189 built.

I am fairly competent mechanically - not afraid to tackle the engine or any of the electrics. Transmission is a different story. I remember the crusty old transmission guy (every town had one)when I was was a boy - he had a fair amount of contempt for Dynaflows and Ultramatics. He called them Dyna-pukes and Problem-atics.

My Pop always told me if you have a good body to start with, the mechanicals are just that...mechanics. Body work and paint is expensive, especially to have something done to the quality I feel a Packard demands or at least deserves.

Keep the comments coming.
Thanks and Cheers
Mark

Posted on: 2010/10/25 18:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

watertoy
See User information
If you are really concerned about the chrome give David Moe a call,He is in Marysville Washington,ph#425-334-7754or email dmoeenterprises@cs.com. I Have a 51 sedan and so far everthing I have needed he has. Good Luck

Posted on: 2010/10/28 17:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Hi Mark,,I just picked up a 51 patti about a week ago,,,,love the car and you will love yours,,just a reference point to you ,,after I had the car delivered come to find out the engine was switch at some point,,I called the seller and he being an older gentleman knew nothing of it and I believe him since he was and has been up front with me the whole time on the purchase. I have the 288 engine in it and as all of the members that posted on my subject the car runs great and gets up and goes. The number for the engine is located on the drivers side of the engine near the firewall the 327 should start with the letter j600001-j610000. Good luck and enjoy the little darlin,,

Posted on: 2010/10/28 18:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
markincoosbay wrote:.....Been looking for a Packard for quite some time......looked at a dark blue 1951 Patrician.....
G'day Mark
to PackardInfo. Wish you well in your quest for a Packard.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 0:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Here's a data point. Perhaps this is the cat Ted purchased?
http://www.packardsinternational.com/PI-51.php

I also have a 51 Patrician 400. They are great drivers and many (like mine) were delivered without power steering, power brakes, and no hydraulic windows. They are just great simple cars with extremely well crafted interiors, the last year for the "wings up" cormorant hood ornament and the last year for the cloisonne wheel covers.

There were several recently listed for sale in the PAC monthly publication also.

Good luck, you'll enjoy the ride.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 5:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Here's a data point. Perhaps this is the cat Ted purchased?
http://www.packardsinternational.com/PI-51.php

I also have a 51 Patrician 400. They are great drivers and many (like mine) were delivered without power steering, power brakes, and no hydraulic windows. They are just great simple cars with extremely well crafted interiors, the last year for the "wings up" cormorant hood ornament and the last year for the cloisonne wheel covers.

There were several recently listed for sale in the PAC monthly publication also.

Good luck, you'll enjoy the ride.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 5:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved