Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
264 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 262

Marvin, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

oil fill tube on 53 flathead 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pacdon
See User information
I wish this question would have come up last week. Had the tube out of my 53 and when I reinstalled it the flap did hit the crankshaft.. I then broke off the flap. Will have to see if it will leak oil. If so I may be looking for another tube. Question: In which direction does the opening in the breather cap face?........

Posted on: 2010/11/19 23:18
 Top  Print   

Re: oil fill tube on 53 flathead 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Pacdon wrote:.....Question: In which direction does the opening in the breather cap face?........

JD's earlier post says it all -

Quote:
JD in KC wrote:Try this bit of logic: The oil breather cap only goes on the filler tube one way (at least it does on my car). If you point the breather opening correctly towards the front of the car......

Posted on: 2010/11/20 0:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
you can have it welded back on I did after mine broke off and it fits fine

Posted on: 2010/11/20 21:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mike52_200
See User information
I just had the same thing happen on my 52. thought the timing chain was hitting the cover at first, lucky I found this post and it was just the oil fill tube hitting the crank. so I just pulled up on it a little and the noise stopped. after reading this post it sounds like I need to investigate just where the flap is pointing. right now, the vent is not facing forward. does the tube just pull out? is there any o-rings or anything?
Thanks Mike

Posted on: 2023/5/13 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No "O" rings or seals, just a snug press fit.

Posted on: 2023/5/13 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Dave (Owen_Dyneto) said, it’s a snug fit but it also can’t take too many removals or reinstalls without becoming loose. I have one like that which is useless now without some kind of sealer to keep it in.

Note also that there are different tubes for different accessories as was once pointed out to me. With power steering, for example, the tube has an extra bend near the top to tilt it toward the head so that air is still forced in in spite the power steering pump being in the way. All in all, I’ve counted three different tubes from one that is straight, one with one bend and one with two bends.

In this photo, there is the straight one (I have an NOS one like it somewhere), the gold one is what was in my 1954 Patrician but the one with two bends is what it was apparently suppose to have.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2023/5/13 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Running some solder on the end of a pipe that is a loose fit in the block should make it tight again.

Posted on: 2023/5/13 13:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved