Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 72

Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, RICZ, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 99 100 101 (102) 103 104 105 ... 258 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Kev,

Sorry for the comment earlier about the valve train. It looks pretty antiseptic. I must've been looking at the pic cross-eyed.

That's a real tick you've got there. If you haven't dropped the pan, at least that would eliminate whether there's any interference with a rod bolt or counterweight-- you should be able to see the marks. If there are baffles in the pan that are getting hit, you won't put a hole in it.

I just kind of doubt that's the problem though. Sure sounds like a lifter clacking, but I don't know what Owen knows about that.

Something to ponder, but it won't interfere with your body work, which seems to be going excellently. The one-piece rear bumper is nice, I don't know why they went to two-piece in '55. It'll be interesting to see how you work in the backup lights. I believe they would be a non-original mod, as I don't recall seeing a '54 with them in the fenders. Bumper mounted as an accessory, maybe.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 21:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Guy,

In 51-54 they mount directly to the filler panel I am repairing. I need to get that panel straight before I drill the mounting holes. I picked up a pretty good set backup lights from Dan Yocum's estate last year.

Here is a pic of what they look like on another '54 Clipper:

Attach file:

jpg  (30.95 KB)
1_4d0846fc5f58d.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/12/14 23:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know why they went to two-piece in '55

If memory serves, I believe there is a bit on styling the 55's in the Kimes edited book.

The author's take was originally they had planned to use the 54 Clipper back styling intact. When looking at the car in side view at one of the final reviews, it appeared to someone in mgt it looked unbalanced because of the new double bumper up in front.

They had to change it so elected to do the back double bumper to have the appearance of more mass. In 53 they had done a similar treatment in order to make that car appear upgraded from 52s so using essentially the same idea & some pieces, it was something that could be done quickly and cheaply on the 55 Clippers.

In 56 in addition to the new tail lights they were able to go back to the single bumper because of the new higher side pieces for balance under the tail lights.

Posted on: 2010/12/15 0:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for taking the time to post that pic, Kev. Very cool things to know, both the backup light setup of '51-'54 and the reason for the 2-piece rear bumper in '55. HH, I have the Kimes book, and I'll take a look to see if I can find references to that final change for the '55 Clipper. I'm a nut for these kind of details.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 23:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Kev: I have really been enjoying following along on your restoration project. I just happened to notice a '54 Clipper on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Classic-54-4-door-Light-Blue-/170581875506?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b778db32

It shows only 35,000 miles and appears to be nearly all original. The listing has a ton of detail pictures that might be helpful to you in your project. Good time to copy & paste those images before the listing expires. Keep up the good work on your "baby".

Posted on: 2010/12/22 22:34
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dan thanks for the kind works and link to the posting. I will put those pics in my reference archive.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 19:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The Christmas Elves:

It appears several members of this website, (who I shall refer to as "The Christmas Elves") conspired with the several folks across the country and a such a complete original blue '54 Super Clipper Interior showed up in my driveway this afternoon.

I had tried to buy this very same interior but was told that it was no longer for sale. It appears "The Christmas Elves" bought it out from under me, and had it palleted and shipped across the country to surprise me.

I would like to thank those 'conspirators' for this wonderful gift. I really don't know what else to say. Of course being the conspirators they are....... they are claiming no knowledge of what I am referring to (plausible deniability) .

What you see here is the front and rear seats, 4 door panels. Off camera are the rear carpets, B and C pillar panels, and rear package tray panel.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.86 KB)
1_4d13f0c2005b7.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2010/12/23 20:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I would like to congratulate those unknown elves for a thoughtful and kind act of friendship. I knew the participants on this forum were special - I just didn't realize the breadth of community that is shared by all of us.
It makes me feel special to be a part of this group.
Merry Christmas Elves and a Happy New Year.

Posted on: 2010/12/23 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Beginning with the established fact that I am no mechanic, I am wondering if it plausible to loosen the oil pan bolts and carefully lower the pan by, oh, let's say a quarter of an inch and still run the motor. surely even if another quart of oil were added, the engine could be run with the pan down just a little bit? a few carefully placed wood shims, secured of course, would allow a "confirm or deny" run for oil pan or oil pan baffle interference? Heck, even a ring of duct tape around the perimeter to minimize a BP/Valdez experience for a few moments?

Posted on: 2010/12/23 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, you are a fortunate person, and we are fortunate for you. I was not part of the interior scheme, but wish I could have been. This token of appreciation is just what it is, a thanks to you for all you have done for the Packard owners community. If I had my way you would be voted into the Packard Hall of Fame. Thank you so much for your time, effort, emotion, and devotion to keeping Packards on the road. Take care, happy new year, and all the best.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/23 22:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 99 100 101 (102) 103 104 105 ... 258 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved