Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard Tool J-2553, Need Tool or Specs.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, glad you "got it", it's really important. There is zero clearance when the lifter is pressurized with engine oil. I frankly forget what clearance there would be (with cam lobe down) without oil pressure, but I'd expect it would also be zero with an small (and depending on where you where in the 0.030 to 0.070 range) compression of the hydraulic section spring.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 18:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Here are a couple images of the gauge block method described above. There is a more detailed explanation of how it can be made and alternative method (described in the 1940 supplemental Manual) for checking depth described in my project thread.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.12 KB)
169_4dce32242e8be.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (29.62 KB)
169_4dce3243b2632.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2011/5/14 2:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to avoid confusion in the future, note that though the principle and method of use are the same, the gauge blocks for the 356 engine and the 327/359 engine are different.

The 327/359 gauge is a simple cylinder and rests in the base of the bore of the cam follower; the 356 gauge has a lip and rests on the top of the follower.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear JD:

I've done dozens of these jobs and never used Tool
J-25whatever.

To obtain proper lifter preload the following procedure is pretty much universal for all zero lash motors including the Kettering V-8.

a) Remove the valves keeping them in numbered order.
b) Remove the hydraulic tappets keeping them in numbered order
c) Using solvent and lint free rags carfeully clean and remove all oil from the tappet bodies. These must be dry and free from any oil.
d) Clean the tappets in solvent as well.
e) Upon assembly the specified preload can now be obtained via valve stem grinding.
f) Upon final assembly the lifter bores can be primed for silence upon intial start up.

It is essential for optimum results that the grinding be carried out using equipment in good condition and personnel who understand the principles of boundary contact between metal surfaces.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Dear JD:

I've done dozens of these jobs and never used Tool
J-25whatever...Good Luck

Tim, Thanks for an excellent explanation of the alternative method to using the plug gauge. By the way... where were you two years ago when my valve job was done?

Quote:

39super8 wrote:
There is a more detailed explanation of how it can be made and alternative method (described in the 1940 supplemental Manual) for checking depth described in my project thread.

I can't tell you how many times I've read the '41 Preliminary Shop Manual, which has the same information on this subject as the '40, and completely missed the part about using the compressed lifter as the basis for setting clearance.

I guess it doesn't matter, I have a plug gauge now and it is more convenient (you don't have to hold the lifter in the compressed position with a screwdriver) and possibly more accurate.

And again, I start my day out learning something new about Packards.

Edit: It's interesting to me that in the 1946-1950 Shop Manual, the reference to using the compressed lifter has been dropped and only the plug gauge is mentioned as the basis for setting clearance.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tim Cole writes:
"It is essential for optimum results that the grinding be carried out using equipment in good condition and personnel who understand the principles of boundary contact between metal surfaces."

That advice is the most important advice that can ever be given about any valve job on ANY engine. If the valve grinding is farmed out to a service provider then GOOD LUCK finding one that will follow Tim Coles advice whether the service provider is qualified or not. I've just been thru it too many damned times. This is especialy true on valves that have 'unusual' seat angles. I won't bore anyone anymore with details or reasons as to why that is true.

Just follow Tim Coles advice. BE SURE TO check the fit of the valves before assembly. ABSOLUTELY under NO CONDITIONS should the service provider of the valve grinding deliver the heads to the customer as assembled!!!

Posted on: 2011/5/14 10:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I believe that it neither is a mistake to use a gauge to check the basic setting (at least I can't see the mistake) nor to clean everything before follow up, accurate reassembling and measuring. Even the best hydraulic valve clearance, the priciest grinding instrument and the cleanest sealing surface don't make up for a wrong basic setting.

Dave (JD), I hope you will forgive me my objection, perhaps I didn't quite understand. Cleaning, using suitable tools and measuring aren't alternative methods. The same goes for the basically freedom from maintenance and the necessity for a correct basic setting. They depend on each other. It may looks like hairsplitting but the mentioned 0.030 inches are more than seven hairbreadths.

BTW, to convert hairbreadths into inches and vice versa use the below mentioned link. Unfortunately the link contains an apostrophe and therefore I can't embed it. Copy and paste it into your browsers address bar.

http://www.convertunits.com/from/hair's+breadth/to/inch

Posted on: 2011/5/17 5:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Here is the link:

<a href="http://www.convertunits.com/from/hair's+breadth/to/inch" target="_blank"> Hairbreadth to Inch Conversion</a>

Posted on: 2011/5/17 8:54
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved