Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
We have a hands on at Hershey to help folks learn the process.
Colors can be hard to get just right.
Not sure if I can post this photo but this can throw folks off. Lacquer can change base coats and ink colors bad over the years. Jdee
Resized Image
http://www.woodgraining.com/photos/137Ply.jpg

Posted on: 2011/6/22 15:33
Jdee
Grain It Technologies Inc.
Woodgraining
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Wow. Quite a difference. Thanks for showing that. I've seen your "work shops" at Hershey and Philadelphia, and they're very well done.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 15:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
So, JDee,
West is impressed, but I'm not getting it. I know the lacquer turns yellow over time. What does this photo show?

In the photo, on the left, darker yellow, is what?
In the center, lighter yellow, is what?
The rectangle in the very center (metal) is what?
The reddish brown on the right is what?

Here's what I had as a sample. What would this have looked like new?

Attach file:

jpg  (28.43 KB)
1067_4e026ea6e4541.jpg 600X81 px

jpg  (564.86 KB)
1067_4e02711479897.jpg 600X81 px

Posted on: 2011/6/22 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That piece really shows the difference in how much the lacquer changes and darkens & yellows with age, light and hand oils. Without seeing the undisturbed or protected areas, would never have guessed it could change that much.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joe,

I've seen a couple of dashes and some mouldings done with the US kit, they look great. There are some pic's in my blog Wade's Workshop Page 70, Post #704 re '41 160 and Page 77, Post #777 re a '37 Super 8.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I must be really dense.
The metal area in the center is the original?
The yellow around it is from yellowing lacquer?
The left side is from too much UV?
The far right side from hand oil?

Also I don't doubt that this can be done and look great. I've seen articles where the car owner says 'I did the woodgrain myself' with a kit. I watched the videos.

I'm just relating what my experience is. 10 inches at a time on a 1.5 width moulding that bends and curves with raised areas for the heater air flow and depressions for the screws. At this point I don't really like the way it looks, but I am trying to finish the car. And I am reserving judgement. If it looks like a cheesy job after the urethane is down, then I will start over, change the colors to what is correct if I don't have that or send it out. I liked what was in there when I first got the car in 1959, but it was sunbaked and worn down, kind of green. I know the dealers didn't like it and it was changed to red-brown mahogany after Feb 1940.

But this is the kit I was sent, so I'm trying to make it work. I drove to the other side of town to get the Dupont paint and had the color mixed. I'll take pictures of my set up. It's kind of a wet, messy, tense kind of process for me. Just saying I'm reserving judgement. If the result is good, that will be great.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
JDee's photo shows a two-tone dashboard from I'm guessing a 1937 Plymoth. The dark area on the right and left and over the top is a different type of grain and color. The center area is the lighter color. The really light colored area in the center shows the original color of the centerpiece. It looks like it had a radio delete face plate covering the area protecting it from discoloring.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:47
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
The color change is what we are looking at. That is not metal its a silver base coat. Old lacquer can turn yellow, green and just about any other color, Did the driver smoke? Were the base-color/ tinted Primer that week in production different was the car parked outside a chemical factory?
Part of our video is how to select colors and patterns.
Do test panels and if you don't like the look tweak your base color and or ink or even select another pattern? We get our colors from old original dashes that are sent in for restoration, was yours different? And if anything we always are always happy to help with a project. We have many restoration shops that are always willing to help getting colors are patterns correct. I can make patterns from original parts. And colors can always be worked with.
Jdee

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:53
Jdee
Woodgraining
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Oh and do a test panel. Woodgraining looks kind of bad if not real bad before its cleared. Its very muddy looking and kills the base color with a haze.
The test panel will help you see your final finish just in case you want to tweak your parts before clearing.
Jdee

Posted on: 2011/6/22 18:57
Jdee
Woodgraining
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
OK Got it.

I could not find my correspondence with Grain-It. I know I made it clear about the difference in the early 1803s. I'm sure I have the right grain. It does look as I remember it and as it does in the black and white photo of Guy Noir's latest client. The color is elusive. Aspen itself is a white hardwood with not much grain. "Mottled" Aspen must be different. We have a hardwood mfg client in central Oregon specializing is the every variant of wood and grain. Maybe I could get a sample of mottled aspen and see what Packard was trying to emulate.

Attach file:

jpg  (102.72 KB)
1067_4e02931158044.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/22 19:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved