Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Nice 53? on ebay....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
There is a nice looking 53 Patrician (Dark blue top, middle blue body currently on ebay....

Couple of questions: Attached is a picture of a scoop (?} on the rear deck. What purpose does it serve?

Also, how authentic does the interior look? The motor compartment? The a/c? I thought the three piece rear windoe was gone in 53?????????

Thanx!

Attach file:

jpg  (27.24 KB)
2488_4eb21b8c48cb1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/11/2 23:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Nice 53? on ebay....
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The scoops are for the trunk-mounted air conditioning unit. Very common for the period.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 0:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've been looking for those scoops for years!

Posted on: 2011/11/3 1:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
They don't look hard to fabricate......

Posted on: 2011/11/3 2:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is a truly lovely car. My only complaints are that the pale blue fabric is a bit too light in color, and also the color chosen for the dash and reveals. Originally that would have been grained. Three piece rear window is correct.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 4:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, that's an extremely lovely car. A friend of mine has been in contact with the owner.

When Ross speaks of the dash/sills being grained, I don't believe he means wood-grained, I believe they were done in body-color paints and given (at least on the upper section of the dashboard) a special treatment sometimes called "goatskin", a rather interesting mottled treatment which may have been unique to the 53/54 Patricians and Pacifics. Wish I had a good picture of same, it's a very unusual paint treatment.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I like this car very much.Does anyone know of someone in that area of southern California who does inspections? i live on the East coast so I can't just drive over to check it out.I want to see if it is really as nice as it appears and if it is just as good mechanically.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I've been looking for those scoops for years!

Quote:

patgreen wrote:
They don't look hard to fabricate......

With the skills Kev has shown in rust repair, I agree. The originals were diecast so getting the proper thickness might take a bit of doing but they are not too complicated otherwise. With a few good pictures and measurements surely an option. Even better would be someone with a non pristine car that would permit the taking of an alginate cast so the proper contour could be ensured.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, agreed. The problem is that I have never had an original one in my hand so I could see how it was made, and to take measurements from.

I am sure the housing could be made of sheet metal and it made to look correct in a non functional sense. Then interior could be cast in resin and then skinned with a sheet metal cover. Devil in the details and getting the bottoms the right contours so it sits on the quarter panel correctly is the key.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 13:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved