Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas Smell '56 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

lew
See User information
I have recently purchased a 1956 Caribbean convertible and notice a raw gas smell when I turn right. Has anyone had this happen to them? Has anyone come up with a cause and solution?

Thanks,

Lew

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas Smell '56 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Try only turning left. Seriously though, maybe the flex hose to your fuel pump may have a hole in it that is more evident while turning. It would really be hard to figure out on line. I would sure get a competent mechanic to check out the fuel system before I would drive the car again.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

lew wrote:
I have recently purchased a 1956 Caribbean convertible .....
Thanks,Lew

Lew,

Beat me to the punch, I recall now that Eric was fooling around in the Chat saying maybe you should be running on an oval track only.

Seriously, I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the site. And if you haven't already added the Caribbean to the Owner Registry could you do so? And include a pic and history. if known?

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If you can smell raw gas from inside the car while driving, then the leak is probably ahead of the firewall. That's one of the drawbacks of having the fresh air intake at the front of the car and routed through the engine bay.

Even if the smell dissipates after you've stopped the car and there's no wet spot on the ground, you should be able to find evidence of the leak. Look for stains on: 1) the outside of the carb, which could indicate a leaking fuel bowl or air horn (cover) gasket); 2) around the fuel filter, which could indicate a leaking bowl gasket or line fittings; and 3) the right side of the front engine (timing) cover, which could be a leaking fuel pump diaphragm.

You do have to be VERY careful when inspecting for a fuel leak. A steel tool dropped on a concrete floor could generate a spark. Breaking a light bulb could be equally catastrophic. There are incandescent bulbs designated as "rough service" and even specially coated bulbs for an old-fashioned "drop light" to minimize the risk, but a modern LED "trouble light" might be better yet. Even the gas company has special flashlights for similar reasons.

Let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On 55 Rochesters that exact symptom is covered in service counselor 30 No 2 page 7, and TB 55T-41. The TB wasn't much help, just identified the problem and told dealers to send for rework. SC article mentioned a new throttle body to fuel bowl gasket, bending the idle vent arm to not make contact and sealing the vent hole. You having a 56, I wouldn't think that was issue but is it possible an early carb is on the car or a rebuild used a gasket that was not correct. Is there an open vent hole?

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Having the floats set too high allowing too much gas into the bowl and then having it slosh out the vent holes while making a turn is a possibility. As Joel advised, have it checked out thoroughly before you drive it again. Verify that the carbs are the proper Rochestor numbers.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Her's my two cents worth. I bought a locking gas cap for my 51 and smelled raw gas the next time I took the car out. Gas was sloshing out past the cap on right turns even when the tank was half full. I could see the gas running down the outside of the car as well as down the outside of the filler pipe. Had to put the old cap back on. I got the locking cap from a guy on ebay who represented it as a New Stant cap. It came without a box and was not marked by Stant at all. Paid something like $60.00 for it. The problem was the cap would not go on tight enough for the rubber would seal. I also found that all I had to do was wiggle it a little and it would come off. So much for LOCKING gas cap. When I contacted the seller I was told " I was the only guy to ever complain. E-buyer beware.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 22:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard, you jogged a memory!

When I rebuilt the 4GC from my first '56 Patrician, the mechanic (not my dad) who was helping me pointed out that the gasket included in the rebuild kit was different than what we removed from the carb - apparently untouched in 66K of use. We were concerned that there might have been a mix-up in packaging the new kits - that the gasket was actually for some later version of the 4GC. I then ordered an NOS gasket from a Packard vendor, but it was cut the same as what was in the kit. So, we cut our own, to match the original, from paper gasket stock, and got the car back on the road.

A few years later, I was trying to eliminate a persistent stumble and (for reasons I cannot clearly recall), I decided to replace the gasket with one of the new ones - problem solved! There must have been some undocumented running change - at least by Rochester.

However, I never noticed a gas odor that would indicate a leak - before or after this change.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 22:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved