Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '54 Convertible E-brake Spring Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I am pleased to report that the spring is now installed! I can feel it pulling the handle back to horizontal after it is twisted to the left. I also cleaned the toggle mechanism and lubricated it with PB Blaster. Now the handle does stay out when pulled, but most times it will retract if you hit the handle with your palm without twisting the handle to the left. I'll be rechecking and adjusting the system as part of a spring checkup.

Big Kev, if you're looking to get that spring, I found it at Kanter's. It wasn't cheap at $25.00, but it is NOS and showed no signs of ever being used. The rep. at Kanter told me they hadn't sold one since 1992, so it's certainly not a fast-selling item for them. It is a stiff little spring; I couldn't extend, bend or twist it using just my fingers. I doubt you could find a spring at an auto supply or hardware store that would perform its function.

Thanks to everyone who responded, attached files, and shared their expertise. Is Packard Info a great community or what?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 19:34
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is this the spring you are referring to? I needed one about 3 years ago and got it from one of the lesser-knowwn Packard vendors for $5.00 and thought I should record the details should anyone ever need to have any made.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.64 KB)
177_4f862931c6eb5.jpg 1174X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/11 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I already took the picture so I'm going to post it anyway. Here are the springs on the assembly installed on a car.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.88 KB)
508_4f8629f1da9ea.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2012/4/11 20:03
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The '51 200 photo is very interesting. This 24th series car has the rare first design toggle that the bulletin that Howard posted refers to. Compare this photo with Fig. 1 of Howard's bulletin to see how much they changed it around.

Owen, that is the exact spring involved. You got a real deal on that spring, more like what I was thinking. Nice to see the complete specs on that spring.

Thank you both for adding to this repository of information on Packard's toggle to handle spring.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 20:56
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
to Don for persevering, after encountering problems, and including his '54 Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 14:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved